Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sorry - its my fault

Options
Tank_NZ
Tank_NZ Posts: 53
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
BGE's are not a common site down under - Despite being very good value for money (mine cost about 1/2 the cost of a gas grill)

None of my friends had ever heard of one until I started preaching 'the word'.

Now 3 friends either have one or have one on order.

I'm torn - 1/2 of me wants me to keep it quite and keep 'the secret' to myself - the other 1/2 wants to tell everybody because Im enjoying the thing so darn much.

I reckon I should get shares - this could be the kiwi summer of the BGE!

Comments

• Tank_NZ
    Options
    As an example of cost (for anyone interested).

Gas BBQ's here are expensive. This: http://www.amazon.com/Broil-King-934664-Monarch-Liquid-Propane/dp/B0026FBHP4 is the same cost (to the $) as my BGE with nest, place setter, grate gripper, and ash removal tool.

The guys bringing in the eggs are really doing a awesome job of building the brand and showing it to be a great product.

Best comment was from a friend who asked "Can't you afford a gas BBQ" - he couldn't believe that they were classed as expensive in the US.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Tank_NZ, Now you and your egg can get together with your friends and their egg and cook a bunch of food and live it up for the day. :) Tim
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Great to see another part of this world show up on the forum! We do like pics of food pron! :lol:
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Tank_NZ,

Wow, is that in Kiwi bucks?

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Tank_NZ
    Options
    Steve,

I paid $1099 Kiwi for the lot ($826 USD).

The same cost of a basic'ish gass grill (the one I linked to at $307 USD cost $1099 kiwi.

loco_engr - Indeed - will get some pics of some local foods (I did post a Kawahai pie the other day) - but to be honest - I love the US 'type' food - Ribs, jalapeño poppers etc etc.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Canadian price is $1,299 or summat. Our dollar is close to par with the US
    You are up late aren't you mate?

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Tank_NZ
    Options
    Wow - there must be a ton of margin (or tax) in that !!!!

not up late - lunchtime here.
  • Smokin' Stogies
    Options
    Tank NZ,

Welcome to the movement and was thrilled to see the All Blacks sweep the Tri-Nations. The wife and I are thinking of going to the Rugby World Cup next year. Nice to know that there are fellow eggers there.

Cheers,

John

Smokin'Stogies in Exton, Pa with my wife and our four dogs; Sully and Boo the Newfoundlands, Murphy the Irish Setter and Alli the Beagle/Lab mix. 

Eggers Prayer-

Our egg, which art in sizes, hallowed be thy smoke, thy will be grilled, at home as it is at eggfest. Give us this clay our daily brisket and forgive us our rubs, as we forgive those who gas grill against us, and lead us not to flashback but deliver us from overnighters. For thine is the grill, the smoke, the egg. Let's eat!