Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tritip - First time - but have ????s

Options
Da Kine Green BBQ
Da Kine Green BBQ Posts: 178
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thanks to Morro Bay Rich, I made a very tasty tritip for the first time. Rich's recipe appears here:

http://eggsbythebay.com/Recipes.php

But, I have some questions:

1) BGE setup. I used a plate setter, legs up, and then placed a drip pan on top. Is this correct?

2) Rich says he sears both sides at high heat, then removes the meat, lets the BGE cool down to 350 to 400, then continues to cook. Why is that necessary?

After I seared both sides, I left the meat on the grill, then I slammed the bottom draft door all the way closed, and also closed the top daisy wheel until the temp got to 350.

3) What is the correct temperature for "done" - rare to medium rare? I have seen several different internal temps for this. I do know that meats do continue to cook and the temperature will rise after removing from the fire. Rich says 126 degrees - yikes. One of my dial thermometers says beef, rare, should be 145 degrees... there was another reference to an even higher temperature. Anyone have a suggestion? These came out a bit "over-cooked" for me.

BTW, "fat side up, fat side down" - seemed to not matter, I cooked 2 side by side, one was up and the other was down - both came out the same.

Just wondering. Came out awesome, I was amazed at how juicy the chunks of meat came out. AND! I got some nice tritips at the 2-for-1 sale at the local supermarket (Ralph's).

Here are some pictures to make your mouth water:

The chunks of meat:

4e78dcad.jpg

Garlicky-salty rub applied:

3356ec3b.jpg

Searing:

92f5f7c8.jpg

Tritip 1: Temperature, 170 degrees:

9ad37aee.jpg

Tritip 2: Temperature: 156 degrees:

417c128a.jpg

After about 90 minutes, I got a little panic-y and tented the meat with foil, even though I was basting (with extra virgin olive oil, garlic, and red wine vinegar):

0effb586.jpg

In the end - all was well. Even had a little smoke ring around the meat. Here's a taste, with pickled okra:

44804451.jpg

Comments

• BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Options
    I do mine direct at 475/500. I season with garlic salt & fresh ground pepper. I cook to an 135 degree internal temp. That is medium. I let it rest for about 10 minutes. Slice against the grain or it will be tough. Good luck to all.
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Options
    Just to be clear...

You want to start with the plate setter and drip pan out. Sear the meat direct. Then put in the plate setter and drip pan for the dwell.

125 will be rare. 160, as you have seen, is pretty much well done. I like my tri-tip around 135. Filet is the only cut that I personally want really rare.
  • Da Kine Green BBQ
    Options
    jeffinsgf wrote:
    Just to be clear...

You want to start with the plate setter and drip pan out. Sear the meat direct. Then put in the plate setter and drip pan for the dwell.

125 will be rare. 160, as you have seen, is pretty much well done. I like my tri-tip around 135. Filet is the only cut that I personally want really rare.

Jeffinsgf -
    Thank you for the clarification on the searing part. I wondered about that - you know, the grill marks were missing on my sear stage and I thought - duh - this is an indirect cook if the plate setter is on. I shall give that another go, and look for 135 for done.
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Options
    Glad I mentioned it...I almost didn't. I didn't want to overstate the obvious, but your third pic looks like the meat has just gone on, and the indirect set up is in place.

I like to get the temp pretty much in the 600ish range, leave the dome open and really put a sear to both sides.

Instead of putting in a plate setter, I rake all the coals to one side of the firebox and put the roast over the empty side. I'm not saying that's a better method, it's just a habit I developed before I had a plate setter. :P I also do the dwell cook with the fat cap down. I get the presentation side just the way I want it while searing, and the fat cap is going to be carved off any way.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,769
    Options
    heres a pretty good meat doneness chart to work from. its good to take notes becase my idea of med/rare may be different from yours.

http://www.reluctantgourmet.com/doneness_chart.htm
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Great looking cook. Looks like you have it nailed.

Here is a link to When is the food done - Food Cooking Temperatures

You will find some handy information in this past post
    FAQ - Tips and Useful Information

GG
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Options
    Rich's method and recipe is wonderful. I use a variation I got from that myself.

Bottom line, there are MANY ways to cook these bad boys. I have stopped searing mine and do a indirect cook and frankly, personally prefer that method.

The Seared method was just fine, in fact wonderful, but I think personally I am converted to indirect and a slightly longer cooking time. My two cents.

Here is a link to three of my blogged tri-tip cooks with pictures and recipes.

http://bigtsbge.blogspot.com/search/label/Tri Tip Beef

Keep On Eggin'
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • GeorgiaBorn
    Options
    My recipe for Tri-Tip sounds kinda like what you already did. I cooked to 130 degrees. I think the reason that you cool the Egg down is so you are not roasting at the sear temp while it cools down.

Here is my recipe:

Apply rub to both sides and refrigerate over night
    Bring BGE to HOT (650-700)
    Sear both sides of tri tip for 3 minutes each side
    Remove and wrap with foil.
    Cool BGE to 300. Add wood chips and set up for indirect cooking.
    Lightly sprinkle with more rub
    Put tri tip on for 30-45 minutes until internal temperature reaches 130 degrees (medium rare). Optional-Baste with bbq sauce and turn every 10 minutes during this stage
    Rest for 10-15 minutes in foil
    Slice against grain and serve
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    Options
    i've never tried the recipe you used, but here is a visual on how i cook mine...

i get the coals white hot and sear it on cast iron on the spider

c5977d0a.jpg

7c2eaf41.jpg

when i get a good sear, i bring it up higher in the egg and cook it to about 135-140

d7ce6e53.jpg

i let it rest 20-30 minutes

f027c0dc.jpg
  • Da Kine Green BBQ
    Options
    Jason -
    Thanks for the great pictures - that is the way I would like to see my tritips come out - nice and reddish on the inside. And I need to take a look at that spider-eggcessory jobby-doo. It looks interesting and useful - thanks for the delicious post!
    -wayne-
  • Da Kine Green BBQ
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions. will have to do another one and eat the results - I have to say that so far, even my misteaks are still quite tasty!!!