Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Should I be Concerned?

Options
skyhopsing
skyhopsing Posts: 107
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I found this crack in my Large today while I was doing a fall cleaning.
I have already replaced the fire box and ring. Is this covered under warranty? Can I sleep soundly tonight not worrying about my BGE
DSC_0073.jpg It is in the bottom, the crack is visible from the outside.

Comments

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Yes. That should not be there.

Bottom line, it should not crack but it will not bother your cooking unless it gets much bigger. I would start the process of getting it covered under warranty but don't let it stop you from cooking.
  • c tredwell
    Options
    Mine looks exactly like that... :huh: I'm getting some hesitation from my dealer. He wants a receipt (9 yrs ago) but I can't find it anywhere. Looks like I'll be talking to someone at the mothership this weekend. Good luck with yours....hope your dealer is better than mine.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    If thats the base of the egg..yes it's covered...
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I don't know, but I might be concerned about cooking with that much of a crack. Here's lowercasebill's - admittedly a different situation, but still...

mini001.jpg

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    Options
    Carolina Q wrote:
    I don't know, but I might be concerned about cooking with that much of a crack. Here's lowercasebill's - admittedly a different situation, but still...

mini001.jpg

whoa, did the mini stand cause that? sure looks like it did......
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    I forget the final diagnosis, but here's the whole thread...

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=810659&catid=1

As I recall, it had to do with the stand combined with the internal setup. I just thought it might be a good idea to show what CAN happen. bill was lucky!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    I think that particular crack was caused by something more than just heat. I've got a crack in one of mine that I've had for 6 years. If it starts to become a problem I might go have it replaced.
  • skyhopsing
    Options
    Well,

Unfortunately I bought mine from B B Q's Galore, and they have since closed up shop and move back to Texas I guess. I will try and contact the mothership.

Mine is about 7 years old, i have no receipt.

thanks for your help :huh:
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    If you sent in your warranty card you are gold, even if you did not, give them a call and send in a pic, more than likely they will cover it :unsure:
  • rib rangler
    Options
    it is covered under warranty. but might not be cracked enough..
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Cracked enough? It's either cracked or it's not.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Tank_NZ
    Tank_NZ Posts: 53
    Options
    Should you be concerned? Im guessing probably - its not supposed to be like that - and whilst it wont get better - it *may* get worse.

I thought that the warranty was with the mother-ship not the dealers - that is why its so important to send in the warranty card.

It will be interesting to hear what happens - My researched showed that the support from BGE is generally very good - and that is just another positive differentiator between them and other ceramic cookers.

(FWIW Support was brilliant for me - nomex gasket posted the very next day).
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    i wrote a detailed reply and it disappeared into electron hell . as far as my mini failure i was using two pizza stones and a 500000 btu torch to start the mini ,,,the base was lava lump and the dome cool .. difference in thermal expansion between the iron base and the ceramic was, in my opinion , the culprit.. i was using after market stuff , off label ,so to speak, and they replace the base for the cost of shipping and i am grateful. i love my mini
    bill
  • drewski255
    Options
    Okay that picture freaks me out. How can I make sure that doesn't happen to my egg?
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    My dealer balked on a split FireGrate.Showed him an e-mail from the Mothership,all was cool! ;) Lemme know if I need to send sumbody to have a word with da dude! :laugh: ;) :laugh:
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Take LOTS of pics,document EVERYTHING!!!Kinda like insurance companies.Their firstmost loyalty is to the company not the customer(Don't mean this as a diss,they just don't wanna get hung for sumthin they won't be reimbursed for).Mothership is cool if you get the right person.I'm sure they override local dealers/distributors.That's been my Eggserience and my local dealer is a Great Guy!It's just some things he don't know.