Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Young (BGE) Grasshopper - Seeks (BBQ) Wisdom

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, I've done it - my large BGE and toys will be delivered soon. Your advice and enthusiasm has been awesome. Now I can only wait and dream (drool) until my first cook. The burger post was timely for my start up and I can identify with some of the other "newbie" confusion and desire to impress the family first time out. [p]What I was looking for was some pointers / suggestions to basic knowledge (books or sites in addition to the forum) with explainations and step-by-step instructions for someone who wants to learn all about (but doesn't have the foggiest idea about) brining (?), beer butt (?) chicken, drip pans, and all of the terms that everyone on the forum seem to use and know intimately. [p]Love to read about cooking and looking forward to many new ways and things to cook with the BGE. (Hope to graduate from bugers and simple stuff to "real" BBQ chicken and pizza soon after BGE arrives). [p]Thanks in advance to all you BGE masters.

Comments

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    David Daniel,[p]Welcome to the family and the forum.[p]Pick up a copy of Jamison's "Smoke and Spice" at your local book store. It provides plenty of basics as well as advanced techniques. Many great recipes as well. Also consider "Sublime Smoke" from the same authors.[p]A good web site is www.barbecuen.com Scroll down the left hand side to the "Beginners" section for an online course in BBQ cooking and grilling.[p]K~G
    Give us a yell if you have any questions.

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    David Daniel,
    This forum will help you more than any book or other website. Just never be afraid to ask - that's what it's really here for.[p]Two suggestions:[p]Ignore the manual with the Egg - the recipes are very unapproved by the forum (for the most part) so ignore it.[p]Just because they call it a smoker - it doesn't have to look like a train going up a steep hill. In other words - don't add much wood chips/chunks until you work up from none to a little first. The lump charcoal adds a little flavor by itself, adding wood increases it. A little goes a long way, fatty foods hold the smoke more than leaner cuts too. A handfull of chips is a lot- IMHO.[p]Good luck and welcome On board.[p]Tim

[ul][li]-- Tim's BGE help/cookbook/picture place --[/ul]
  • JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    David Daniel,
    Welcome to the BGE family. We are here to help.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    David Daniel,
    As the others have said, WELCOME!!!
    Tim has a great point about adding wood for smoke. We have several individuals on the forum (Sprinter being one) who love to pour the smoke to their food, yet many enjoy a milder smoke flavor. Try with just the lump charcoal first, as it imparts infinitely more flavor to your foood than a gas grill. Then start experimenting with different woods, starting of with maybe a chunk or two...and adding more as you get a feel for just how much smoke flavor you want.[p]As far as overall info, Tim M's and Gfw's websites are well organized, and loaded with great pictures, and explanations of different setups and techniques. Their sites, and the recipe sections here on the forum will give you plenty of ideas. [p]The best way to learn is to watch what is discussed here, and to jump in and ask specific questions when you are planning a particular meal. You can expect to wait no more that 15 minutes during the day for at least one great answer to your question...and probably many answers to pick through. The amount of knowledge we have access to here is mind-boggling. Not only egg techniques, but I have learned how to season cast iron pans on the egg, how to make dough, what grains of paradise are, advantages of marinating in buttermilk, food science of brining, the difference between mountain and flatland hogs, and how to make a mint julep.[p]Made many great friends along the way too.[p]Grasshopper, your enthusiasm is evident, and you sure didn't waste any time this morning getting started!!! Good luck with your eggventures.[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Unknown
    Options
    KennyG,
    I have a copy of Jamison's "Smoke and Spice", and really enjoy reading it.[p]However, it seems as though they cook on water smokers. How do you adjust the cooking times and technics for good results on the BGE?[p] Thanks,
    Cajun Boy

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    Cajun Boy,[p]I have found that Smoke and Spice recipes adopt nicely to the Egg if you simply leave out the water pan. The Egg retains moisture very well and does not require the use of a pan. IMHO, a water pan was just another way of controlling temperature and preventing meat from drying out in a cooker that was just generally poorly designed. Using a polder or clone to monitor internal temp has made cooking on a BGE even KennyG proof.[p]K~G

• AbqEgg'r
    AbqEgg'r Posts: 91
    Options
    David Daniel,
    From one grasshopper to another: Several good books were mentioned, all of which I've purchased. The cheapest place I've found to get them is an online cookbook store, Jessica's Biscuit. Great prices, but the UPS (pony express) shipping is pretty slow.[p]In my humble new-guy opinion, the best information is probably available right here in the archives.[p]TR[p]http://www.ecookbooks.com/index.html

• Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    Options
    David Daniel,[p] I can't add much to what has already been passed down.
    Welcome & to quote " Grasshopper,when you can snatch the
    Egg from our hand, you will enjoy even more".[p] Earl