Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

time to take on the brisket

Options
drewski255
drewski255 Posts: 21
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Once again the forum came through in flying colors,I asked for a turkey recipe and everybody pointed me to mad max.It was by far the best turkey i have ever eaten. My next mission is to make a brisket and if anybody has a good recipe I would love to try it out.

Comments

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    I haven't had a brisket turn out bad yet and I do it as simple a way as it gets. Coat it with either mustard or worchester sauce and then apply your favorite dry rub. You can let it sit overnight OR throw it straight on the EGG (which is what I usually end up doing). Cook at 225 until the internal reaches 197 degrees. I do flats and this usually takes about 10-12 hours. I don't foil during the cooking process and most of the time never open the lid until its ready to come off. So when it reaches 197, foil with some liquid anywhere from an hour to 4 hours in a cooler packed with towels. Then slice across the grain and eat!
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

If you want some details on a great brisket cook head on over to Thrideye's site and read his brisket discussion & recipe.

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/brisket.html

[url][/url]

GG
  • Hustling Hare
    Options
    This is about the way I do it. I cook packer briskets. My egg seems to like 240 deg. so anything stable at less than 250 deg. will work, don't fret too much, just keep it under 250. Another thing not mentioned (but maybe obvious) is cook it indirect. Put in the plate setter legs pointing up, a pan to catch the grease, then a rack to hold the brisket.

There is a religious argument here on the forum about fat side up or down. Apparently either way works well; I do fat side up. Heck, there is discussion about whether to use the brisket from the right or left side of the steer (they seem to be able to tell)...I don't think it really matters especially after umpteen hours cooking it up to 195 to 205 deg. It's done when you stick a fork in and the meat pulls apart when the fork is twisted. That won't happen until the meat gets up to the high temperatures mentioned.

Another thing, about 160 to 170 deg. the temp of the meat will stop rising for a while, about 1 to 2 hours. Have patience, it will start upward again and go up pretty rapidly so watch it (you do have a Maverick dual temp thermometer, don't you?)

Eat and enjoy.