Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Acorns for smoke?

500 Posts: 3,177
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone ever used acorns for some oak smoke flavor? I've got plenty of them around. What da ya think?
I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
Member since 2009

Comments

• Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Haven't tried acorns but I have used hickory nut shells.
    Instant smoke, you can smoke a burger.
    DSC_0020-1.jpg
    I sucked up 50 gallons of acorns this year just from one tree, not planning on using them for smoke. I think creosote would be a problem unless they were very dry.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    I have never tried em.I have used oak wood but never the acorn.Give it a go and report back.Worst can happen is you waste a load of lump.I would cook something cheap(chicken) on the first try. ;)
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    I've used hickory nuts - but never acorns. Personally the "wooden" shell of an acorn is paper thin. I read the acorn nut meat is edible though. OTOH a hickory nut is mostly "wood" with little meat but what little is in there is certainly safe and edible!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    Acorns themselves are poisonous to us and our pets. I wouldn't chance it.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    that's what I thought too, but I'm reading where they are just bitter and consuming too many could cause a probem.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Probabably work for smoked squirrel! :laugh: :evil: :silly:

Sorry, I couldn't resist :P
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Good one Capt. Frank! :lol:
  • ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    I've never smoked with acorns, but we used to roast them, when I was a kid. The tannic acid is what makes them bitter, and in large quantities, can make people and pets very sick.

Before roasting (or using them for smoking, I would presume), we would boil them repeatedly, until the water no longer turned brown/yellow. At that point, the bitterness would be gone, and we'd roast them over the campfire.
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    ;) Not if you have a pet squirrel,bird,deer or goat. :laugh: ;)
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Come to think of it, I'm not gonna try it. Wouldn't want to leave some bad smoke in the Egg that would take a long time to get rid of.

I can get some oak from a cabinet maker; I'll try that. He supplies me with cherry and maple whenever I want it. Wish he made cabinets out of hickory and apple.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • KenHawk
    KenHawk Posts: 58
    DewaltDakota has it exactly right. Acorns are high in tannin, but after boiling can be eaten roasted or into a paste...

You would be smoking it with the nut - as someone else mentioned - the shell is very thin.

Crack a few open before you do anything. A lot of the acorns laying around on the ground are half rotten.