Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I, by golly, DID IT!

Options
Sandi
Sandi Posts: 107
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Was suppose to have company over tonight to cook these steaks from the tenderloin that I got yesterday. Company couldn't make it, (will be coming tomorrow night instead)so after arriving home, I just couldn't bear the thought of NOT COOKING on the BGE. Fired it up (then realized that I forgot to print out some instructions that I found here and rather lliked) so, I was *winging it. Let the egg get up to (my therm only shows this high) 750...gave it another 5 minutes, then deemed it the time to sear the steaks. Thhrew them on, seared each side for 3 minutes, inserted the Polder into one, set it for medium...closed the lid. Then, began, the quandry.....do I shot everything up...or leave it open...couldn't remember what I had read in the post I liked. SO..I improvised. I shut everything down, I opened everything up. I know I didn't do this just right but the steaks turned out d*@*% good, if I say so myself. NOW...I just have to find the instructions so I can do a repeat for comapny tomorrow evening! Any input is greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Mike Oelrich
    Mike Oelrich Posts: 544
    Options
    Sandi,[p] Good for you! One suggestion: Be careful with the Polder at high temps. The instructions say that the wire will fail above 392F. If you have to use it a high temps, wrapping the wire in foil can buy you some time. Second suggestion: Once you get used to cooking things like steak, resist the temptation to poke holes in it for any reason. Any hole is a way for the juice to get out! Finally: If you're going to use the Polder automatic setting for bigger cuts of meat, you'll be better off setting it for one setting lower than you want. After the Polder goes off, take the meat off and let it rest for a bit. The internal temp will continue to rise for a while. Amount of time will depend on the sie of the hunk of meat.[p]MikeO
  • JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    Sandi,
    You got lucky that you did not burn up the probe. Polder probes can not take that high temp. As for whether or not to shut every thing down after high temp sear on both sides shut them completely off and let sit for about 5 min for medium.;

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    polder.jpg
    <p />Sandi,[p]Great - glad it worked out. [p]I thought you were going to say that the Polder melted on you. I am not sure if you have an instant read or probe type Polder but you gotta watch the temps on them. The plastic Instant read will melt in the Egg and the probe on the other can handle around 325deg max (maybe 350 with a foil wrap around the cable). [p]Tim
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Sandi, Yup, you got 3 good hints and tips..Make it simple for ya..
    Leave the polder in the drawer..!
    Stir the coals..light and add large chunks to about half to 3/4 up the first firechamber wall..The one with the holes around the sides.
    Close dome..wait for temp to hit the high notes....about 10 to 15 minutes..As one of my beginning teachers taught me, when the inside look like the fires of Hades. Red hot fire and coals. Lower vent wide open..nothing on the top chimney.[p]Put your seasoned steaks in the center of the grill or as close to it as you can.[p]Close dome.. wait 2 minutes..and check your watch.[p]Open dome..flip steaks...close dome, wait two minutes..Check your watch.[p]Put top cap on, close lower vent...Wait 5 minutes![p]Medium rare..wait 8 minutes..Medium..Wait 10 minutes..Well done.
    Or close to it.[p]Filet mignons tonight here. ..have fun..C~W[p][p]

• bdavidson
    bdavidson Posts: 411
    Options
    Tim M,
    Are the Polders still on sale at Tuesday Mornings stores?
    Sandi might be needing that link after another steak meal tomorrow night!

[ul][li][url=http://htt[://www.tuesdaymorning.com]Tuesday Mornings link[/url][/ul]
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    Sandi,[p]Congrats! The searing thing is just another adventage that the Egg offers. Don't think people will be doin' that on a gassy! Tonight I seared a couple of hamburgers. I used the same technique (coated with mustard and a little Montreal seasoning). Mmmmmm, Mmmmmm, good![p]Keep the smoke commin' and the coals glowin'[p]Smokey

• Sandi
    Sandi Posts: 107
    Options
    Tim M,
    YIKES! I didn't realize that...about the Polders and high temps! See...learn something new everyday. Goota run...Spin City is coming on...got MY ROLL of paper towels out for it! Thanks again for the info!