Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Time pork butt can sit in a cooler?

DelucaDeluca Posts: 98
edited 2:14AM in EggHead Forum
I was going to put a butt in the egg in the morning but work has gotten in the way of that. I have to work in the afternoon and won't get home till it's time to eat.
I'm thinking of putting the butt on now and pulling it off around 11am.
Can it sit in the cooler for 5 hours? Will that much time mess it up?

• ledmondledmond Posts: 88
    Wrap it well and it will be fine, I've let both ham and turkey rest that long before, no problem. You will probably get other responses to the contrary, but I say no problem.
  • DrZaiusDrZaius Posts: 1,481
    I have gone 6 hours and the butts would still burn your hands. It all depends how well you wrap them.
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!
  • Be aware that the "too hot to handle" gauge is not a very good one. That only means the meat is above about 115°.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Here's my web page on the topic. Be aware that I was measuring internal temp, not surface temp, FWIW:

Holding Meat In A Cooler
    The Naked Whiz
  • SkySawSkySaw Posts: 487
    I have twice left a (9lb precooked) butt in a small cooler for 6 hours. I double wrapped the butt in foil, placed a towel in the cooler, and placed the butt on the towel. I temp probed the surface of the butt after 6 hours and it was in the mid-140s on both occasions. The internal temp of the meat was in the high 150s.

With a decent cooler and wrapping job, 6 hours is a safe option.

• DelucaDeluca Posts: 98
    As life would have it. I never got the shoulder out of the fridge until this morning. After 10 hours of being in the egg, it's sitting in the cooler. Going to pull that sucker out in about 30 minutes and see how it is.
    I'm hoping that 2 extra days in the fridge didn't hurt anything. It did have a good 2.5 soak with the rub on it.... we're going to find out soon!