Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Terrible lump

Options
CrimsonTideGirl
CrimsonTideGirl Posts: 130
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I ran out of our normal lump today so hubby went to Sam's and they no longer carry it so he ran to Home Depot and bought "True Cue" lump. I cooked a filet and you would have thought I used lighter fluid. The meat had a bad chemical taste and my clothes smell like a chemical. Not to mention it was $8 for 8lbs. Has anyone else ever used this lump? I think I will try Walmart and see if they have any.

Comments

• frankie482
    Options
    All around bad day for you huh?

With the bad lump and loss too!! :evil:
  • CrimsonTideGirl
    Options
    HAHA!!! Yea, it sucked!!! But I still love my Crimson Tide!!!
  • frankie482
    Options
    CrimsonTideGirl wrote:
    HAHA!!! Yea, it sucked!!! But I still love my Crimson Tide!!!

As you should!
    Great team and great program!
    Just razzin' ya!
  • elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    Options
    I'm with you - the game was awful. Bama didn't play well today. I like to think of it as an opportunity (not sure exactly what it's an opportunity for...). We'll get em next week! Roll Tide :cheer:
  • elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    Options
    I ran out today (after we egged brats)...I think our Home Depot has Royal Oak so I'm going to start there tomorrow. I've been using Wicked Good and The Fresh Market store brand. Probably won't spend the $$ on Wicked Good again. The Fresh Market stuff is pretty good - lights quickly, burns fast. If Home Depot is a bust I am pretty sure our Lowes has Cowboy Lump. Good luck!
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    CTG: Yes, we have tried the True Cue, and have found it to be one of the absolute worst lumps we have tried! We tried on bag a few months back, and it was decent! So when we ran out of Royal Oak, we bought 4 bags of True Cue. Well, this batch was AWEFUL! Rank smoke, and I noticed on the re-lights, that it had a distinct smell of amonnia. We threw away the last two bags. :angry: If I see True Cue in the future, I will not walk, but will run away. :S
    Sorry about your Tide loss...and all I can say now is, Go Gators!! :laugh: :whistle: (all in good fun) You put such a hurtin' on us last week!! I still can't believe Spurrier and SC pulled that off today. :huh: A couple more upsets are in the works...chin up! ;)
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    Yeah, we got a bag this summer and threw the rest of it away after my first cook with it. Horrible stuff. Explosive when starting with MAPP gas, hard to get lit, and funky aroma. Won't ever buy it again.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • CrimsonTideGirl
    Options
    Yes, when I first put the electric starter in I went in the house and less than 5 minutes later it was flaming up. It started popping like crazy too so I am thinking that there is something not natural in the "all natural" true cue lump. I thought one of the sparks might catch my Bama t-shirt on fire.
  • CrimsonTideGirl
    Options
    Sorry about the Gator loss. I was pulling for yall because a friend of mine is a horrible LSU fan. I think both our teams may not be as good as we think we are. Arkansas is really pretty good and I think they are the team to watch in the SEC. I don't think Auburn is that great since they almost lost to Kentucky.
  • CrimsonTideGirl
    Options
    Sorry about the Gator loss. I was pulling for yall because a friend of mine is a horrible LSU fan. I think both our teams may not be as good as we think we are. Arkansas is really pretty good and I think they are the team to watch in the SEC. I don't think Auburn is that great since they almost lost to Kentucky.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    GTG: Thanks, and honestly, I still think Bama will be the SEC Champ. They are so very strong! Don't know if it was let-down from last week, but that would be my guess. Spurrier can be obnoxious, but he called a smart game tonight. My 'second Mom' (used to be a dear neighbor) and her late husband went to Bama, and he played football there a couple years. If the Gators had to lose, far better to Bama. ;) Tonight didn't sit so good though... :laugh: .
    As far as the True Cue....get rid of it. Nasty stuff. :pinch:
    Be well, and happy eggin'!!
  • GregC
    GregC Posts: 91
    Options
    Hey CrimsonTideGirl - RTR
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpdatabase/lumpbag94.htm

and the ebony wood in this is mexican or false ebony not to be confused with the dark black wood from india or africa.