Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tips for reducing start up smoke?

Options
EggNorth
EggNorth Posts: 1,535
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone have tips on reducing start up smoke? I use fire starters and there is such a huge amount of white smoke - it looks like the back of my house is on fire!

I usually put the fire starter in two places (1/2 pieces) and build a small coal pyramid on top giving it some air to burn. Top and bottom vents open all the way. leave the lid open for 10 minutes then close.

It looks like all the smoke comes from the fire starters when the flame goes out. I'd like to use an electric starter but I don't have a plug back there.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Dave
Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)

Comments

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Sounds like a lot of the same method I use and usually have a 10-15 minute burn b-4 the smoke starts to settle down.
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    Options
    Dave,
    After using fire starters or paper towel with oil for >2 years, I got an electric starter recently. Used it twice and love it. The cord is really short though so you'll need an extension cord even if you have an outlet there unless your egg is right next to the wall, so don't let lack of outlet stop you. With electric starter it'll also be easier for my better half to start the fire before I get home from work.
    Gary
    canuckland
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    MAPP gas gets mine started fast (3 spots at 20 seconds each) but if I have a lot of wood in there, it's still going to smoke for the first 15 or so minutes.

I just quit using the starters because I didn't like the waxy smoke/smell they give off. Plus torches are way fun :silly:
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    +1 on the torch starts. I use a weed burner most of the time (even on the mini. yes, the handle is charred). This seems to eliminate a lot of the smoke in the begining. But my shirts generate more smoke because they have pieces of burning lump in them.
  • Essex County
    Options
    I used to use the white Weber starters and they do seem to smoke a lot. Now I use the little compressed sawdust starters. They give off some smoke but not a lot. Is it possible that your lump is a tiny bit damp? I've found that damp lump will produce a lot of white smoke on startup.

Wait! I just reread your post. Yes, if the starters go out, they produce lots of smoke. You've got to make sure your starters have plenty of airflow. Or maybe you've just got a bad batch of starters. Which ones are you using?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I switched from starter cubes to paper towel and oil and that produces less smoke at startup.

Whatever type of starter you use, keep your dome open until your starters are all burned up. if you see your starters are not burning but smoldering, remove them with tongs or pliers or something(applies to starter cubes only-sawdust, parafin, whatever).

every once in awhile, I start my fire with the starter cubes I have sitting on the shelf. they're old so maybe they don't work as well.

I get good clean starts with paper towels and vegetable oil, though probably the majority of folks here use some kind of torch.
  • MatDrums
    Options
    I used to break down the starters with the ash tool while they were burning, to make shure they don't go out and produce that white smoke.

I'm on paper towle and oil now and the smoke is almost non existant.

Mat
  • EggNorth
    Options
    I'm using NorthLand Firestarter, looks the same as the BGE kind. A little less money. Using Maple Leaf Charcoal.
    Dave
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    :laugh: :silly: :lol:
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Dave,

Use Maple Leaf and Mapp torch.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• EggNorth
    Options
    Wow, I've had a BernzOmatic propane tank and lighter stored for years from when I got a pipe fixed. Never though I'd use it again.

Noticed my propane tank is empty, off to me favorite store to get a MAPP cylinder.

I only use Maple Leaf, unless the dealer is out then I use BGE.

Thanks, I will try it.
    Dave
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    You will be surprised how little time it takes.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

For me the weed burner is the fastest way to light and produces the least amount of start up smoke. Less than 2 minutes on my large.

GG