Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope you had a hoppy Easter and are ready to spring into warm weather cooking mode! There’s nothing better than spending time outdoors with the sweet aroma of fresh cooked Ribs. Baseball season is also underway, so it's the perfect time to try out some chicken wing variations! We have Jamaican Jerk, Lemon Pepper, Fired-Up Wings and even a Whiskey Onion and Chicken Steak if wings aren't your thing. Bon appetit!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

I cooked some'en:whole chicken with caper spread

JLOCKHART29JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Wife picked up a whole yard bird today so decide to do a little cook'en. The raws:
10-4-2010001.jpg

Made up a rub of sea salt,cumman,ginger,pepreka,chili powder,powder garlic and sage.
10-4-2010003.jpg

Be sure and lift the skin away from the meat and place your rub under the skin. You will get a lot more flavor than if you only rub it on top of the skin.
10-4-2010007.jpg

Rubed in EVOO and spiced rub with the juice of one lime squeezed under the skin and half of the lime stuck in the neck cavity. Wings tied to keep them from cooking to fast and some white wine in the pie plate. On with presimmon wood at 300 till breast temp of 170 in this case. Wife hates chicken with any pink in it. At 170 the breast is over cooked period. Thighs and legs will be well done but not over done. I like my bird pulled at about 150 breast on a whole bird but the joints will still have some pink.
While it was cooking pealed 6 tomatoes cubed and set to the side. Chopped 5 garlic cloves and 5 green onions and browned with a little EVOO in the La Cruesit. Add the tomatoes, 3 full teaspoons capers, 2 tablespoons sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon cracked pepper, and 3/4 cup white wine. I set the Small up like this using foil and "smoke rocks" to keep from burning on the bottom but still cook quicker than with platesetter. Cook at 350 uncovered for 45 min. with plenty of smoke wood then cover and cook till tomatoes start rendering down. About another 30 min. Add more wine if needed to thin.
10-4-2010010.jpg

10-4-2010012.jpg

The guest of honor is ready! :woohoo:
10-4-2010013.jpg

Plated and ready to eat.
10-4-2010016.jpg

10-4-2010020.jpg
·

Comments

• Boss HoggBoss Hogg Posts: 1,377
    JL, That's a big potato on that plate! Nice cook.
    Brian
    ·
  • Nice cook, JL !

You LOVIN' this cool, biking weather!
    ·
  • rsmdalersmdale Posts: 2,472
    That is a tasty meal!! I love the color on that bird-the chicken!!

GOOD EATS AND GOOD FRIENDS

DALE
    ·
  • AnnaGAnnaG Posts: 1,104
    It looks wonderful!!! Making my mouth water... :)
    ·
  • Yup!!!
    That will do, for sure! Looks real nice and I'm sure it ate good too!
    ·
  • BobSBobS Posts: 2,485
    The color on that bird is outstanding!
    ·
  • MaineggMainegg Posts: 7,787
    I always check out your cooks. always over the top good and different.
    ·
  • Egg JujuEgg Juju Posts: 658
    looks mighty tasty... I love some good yard bird.
    Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com
    ·
  • Capt FrankCapt Frank Posts: 2,578
    That all looks great! I'm with Julie, I always read your posts and enjoy your cooks and your great step-by-step directions and great pics! Thanks :) :woohoo: :cheer:
    ·
  • Beanie-BeanBeanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Excellent work, buddy. I see that Jake is still hanging out there in his favorite perch for dinner.
    ·