Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

hummer fights, soup and a new sign

fire egger
fire egger Posts: 1,124
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well most of the hummers are gone for the year, so I wanted to post a few of my favorite pics of the year, got a few good action shots.
IMG_4094.jpgIMG_4145.jpgIMG_5069.jpgIMG_4621.jpg

To keep is semi on-topic, here is the first soup of the season, chicken noodle
IMG_0968.jpg
Ready to eat, with some fresh egged focaccia
IMG_0971.jpg

and finaly, a new sign that the wife and boy made for the ODK
IMG_0941.jpg
very cool I thought
Thanks, for looking, have a good one

Comments

• rooster
    rooster Posts: 252
    that soup sure looks good. Have you got a recipe?
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Kendell, thanks for the pics. I miss my hummingbirds already. :( The soup looks perfect for this time of year and I really like the sign made by your family. :)
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Good post. Love the hummer shots, planted some honeysuckle this year in hopes to attract some hummers next season.

Great job on the sign and the soup looks really good to-boot.

Kent
  • fire egger
    I do, I am work, will get it posted this evening
  • fire egger
    Thanks, Rebecca, we are always sad to see them go, in this part of the country they start coming back in April/may, so weve got that to look forward to.
  • fire egger
    hey Kent, good to hear from you, I hope your doing well
    the hummers will love your honeysuckle next year, and you may have some cardinals nesting in it next spring ( dont know if you get them there, they love honeysuckle for nesting)
    It's time to try your gumbo cooking, let me know how your cajun spice stock is holding out.
  • Grandpas Grub

Doin OK, up and around and some easy egg'n. I have the same thing on the opposite leg, much smaller though (at this point). The doc said it could possibly go away if I lose some weight. I don't want to do this again, so with that, I have been working hard at watching what I have been eating and the amount I have been eating. Since getting out of the hospital I haven't eaten any beef or pork only some egg'd chicken.

Anyway I have been thinking/wanting to do some gumbo but a little concerned. I will be cooking some towards the end of this month or early next month. I might not eat much but I do want to make some.

BTW I am thinking your wife needs a reload of some SWT. When I can locate some fresh (or what seems fresh) I will get a care package out.

Be well friend, Kent
  • fire egger
    Absolutely
    It’s actually an Anne Burrel recipe, modified a little
    I start with a whole chicken, rubbed with s&p, thyme, spatchcocked and egged rasised direct at 350 dome approx. 1 hour (160 breast/180 thigh)
    Skin and bone the chicken. Soften the veggies in a CIDO, add the garlic and pepper flakes, let them get aromatic, and then add 1 1/2 -2 cups chicken stock. Add the bay leaf, cinnamon, nutmeg, and lemon, ( squeeze juice into the pot, then add the lemons) simmer 20 min or so, until the flavors are developed, add beans and chicken, season to taste. Chicken and beans are cooked, so you’re just getting them warmed.
    Remove lemon halves, bay leaves, and thyme bundle and serve over pasta. Garnish with cilantro if you like it.
    I cook the pasta separately so I can control the doneness.
    1 large onion, cut into 1/2-inch slices
    4 ribs celery, cut into 1/2-inch dice
    3 carrots, cut into 1/2-inch dice
    Kosher salt
    2 cloves garlic, smashed
    2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
    1 bunch thyme
    1 Chicken, spatchcocked and
    Chicken stock
    2 bay leaves
    1 lemon, halved
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    2 grates fresh nutmeg
    Freshly ground black pepper
    2 cups small pasta, of your choice
    1 (15-ounce) can white beans or chick peas
    1 bunch cilantro, leaves coarsely chopped
  • I believe that red flower in your pics is called "firepink" and is actaully somewhat rare. That will attract the hummers too.
  • fire egger
    Glad to hear your up and about, and I hope you dont have to go through another round. good luck with the weight loss, thats tough going, particularly given our hobby.
    Good luck with the gumbo, even if you cant eat much, I am sure the family will love it.
    We will accept SWT anytime,(i'm going to try to hoard some this time LOL)
    Take care Kent
  • fire egger
    Is that a sage variety? the plant is a sage-type plant we added a couple of years ago, not sure what it is, appreciate the info- the hummers do love it
  • Grandpas Grub

Looks like I better send some extra... :)

Kent
  • GeeCee
    GeeCee Posts: 10
    Someone sent me this link just recently about hummers. This guy is a very good photographer.
    http://www.komar.org/faq/travel/hummingbirds/nest/
  • fire egger
    Very cool, awesome pics, thanks
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Kendall,
    Love the bird shots!
    Time for fall food, your soup looks great!!
    Thanks for the work you do!!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    Great photographs! Many of the hummingbirds have left us as well....we will miss them, and be looking for them again next year! :)
  • fire egger
    Thanks Elizabeth. we've been feeding them 15 years, and never get tired of them.