Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cleaned egg now I can't open

Options
madmike
madmike Posts: 103
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
O.K.so the other day I asked how to clean me Egg--->

madmike wrote:
I have to clean my Egg tonight This would be the first time in 2 years.It's really suety and my vent cap is really bad as well so is my grill and plate setter.

What is the best way to clean this??

and I did this--->

Frank from Houma wrote:
Crank it up to 600 - 45 minutes should do the trick

Put any eggcesories in the egg you want cleaned - platesetter, grids, etc.

If you put your DFMT in for cleaning, you should spray it with Pam afterwards to keep it from rusting.

After burning, you may want to make a wad of HDAF and rub down the interior to remove any soot.

Good luck with it.

Now me Egg is welded shut I guess LOL :(

My new question to all ya Eggers is how's the best way to get this open now??

Tanx in advance
Mike

Comments

• Old Salt
    Options
    Same thing happened to me. Your gasket is fused. I used a thin putty knife inserted between the two halves and worked it around the lid. After that you'll need to decide if you want to change the gasket or run without. Many here say that the BGE works fine without a gasket, but I put a Nomex on mine. Good Luck

Pat
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Mike:

The bad news: Your gasket is fused :(
    The good news: Your egg is going to look awesome inside!!! :laugh:

Here is a link to one site that has a bit of a help on gasket changes:

http://www.bubbatim.com/Projects.php

A patient work around your edge with a thin putty knife. If you have starter cubes, you can drop a couple in lit and allow them to burn, and heat up the gasket glue a bit, which is supposed to help. Remember, no prying, or you may chip the egg.

Hopefully Thirdeye or Naked Whiz will add links...their information is always excellent, but I never seem to be able to navigate their websites well. :blush:
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    As LC mentioned, heat it up first if you can- Light firestarters and put them in through the lower draft door below the fire grate (put them in, then light) or drop lit ones down into the chimney.

This will soften up the stuff that's holding it shut and will help you get it open sooner.

I'm surprised that after 2 years of use it was still able to get stuck. usually when I hear of this happening it's a newer Egg (like when i did mine!)
  • madmike
    Options
    I'm thinking that some Pam on both gasket surface probably would have prevented this??

Anyone ever try that?
  • FearlessGrill
    Options
    Not sure that would help. PAM will burn at higher temps. I was at a party at a friend's house, and she asked her husband, who shouldn't be allowed near the kitchen, to spray some PAM on a baking sheet and heat up some appetizers. He used a bit much, put it near the heating element in the oven, and it flared up quite spectacularly.

If you want to protect the gaskets, maybe put a strip of HD tin foil between the top and bottom. You're not going to get hot enough to melt aluminum, and the slight air gap it might cause doesn't matter in that situation. Note that I haven't tried this, so take it with a grain of salt... my gaskets are long gone.

-John
  • madmike
    Options
    You don't have a gasket?? Can you bring the heat up pass 700 without?

That is why I had purchased a new gasket to replace my old one cause I couldn't get it pass 500 550.
  • FearlessGrill
    Options
    I have the charred remains of what used to be a gasket. Never bothered to replace it or remove it because it doesn't affect my cooking.

A gasket shouldn't have any impact on being able to achieve higher temps. In fact, if your dome and base don't fit together well, it could allow more air in and help you get your temps higher. Where it can cause a problem is on keeping your temp stable on low and slow cooks, where extra air getting in can cause the temp to go higher than you intended. If the base and dome fit together well though, this isn't an issue. I've held 250 for 36 hours with this setup.

-John
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,758
    Options
    ive been known to cook pizzas in the 1100/1200 degree range, no gaskets. you probably had a different problem, when mine doesnt get hot on a regular bases, its usually ash built up behind the firebox in back
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Once you get it open try one of the high heat gaskets. I installed a new one on my large a couple weeks ago and brought it up to 900 and let it sit just to test it out and it was fine. Now I need to replace the gasket on my small and I will be all good.