Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My first Pork Shoulder

Options
Deggman
Deggman Posts: 56
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So since I got today off because of heavy rains yesterday afternoon, lastnight I decided to cook my first Pork shoulder! Thanks to everyone that has posted so much helpful info on this type of cook. Nothing fancy I just cooked how everyone else says they do. 263* dome (that just happened to be the temp that the egg settled at so I went for it), platesetter legs down, drip pan, shoulder on v-rack, Maverick et-73 with smoker probe in place of the standard dome therm, this thing is great! As for the meat I slathered it in mustard, then plastered with Pappy's rub and a little lawry's seasoning. I would consider this a succesful cook, but there is always room for improvent!

Just Off the Egg, 8lbs, took 12 and a half hours
whole.jpg
All pulled, I was worried the bark would be kinda harsh, but it was mild and melts in your mouth!
pulled.jpg
Two Sandwiches for me, I made two sauces I took from the cookbook page, they were the Carolina style sauces
sand.jpg
Ozzie says "Please give me some of that! I have been smelling that goodness all night!"
beast.jpg
Things I learned;
1. Don't start your first ever slow'n'low at 11pm!
2. Don't use soaked wood chips for smoke because it screws up your fire you patiently dialed in when you add it!
3. The mesquite lump (best of the west brand) is not bad at all!
4. Toss the meat in the sauce instead of just putting on top of the sandwich, DUH!

Comments