Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Adjustable Rig question

frankie482
frankie482 Posts: 263
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I will be ordering the Adjustable Rig customer combo and wok.

Why is the 13" oval grid preferred over the 16.5 round grid?

Also, looking at the Rig Extender, does the oval grid just sit there or is it "locked" into place somehow?

Comments

• EggSimon
    EggSimon Posts: 422
    I´m not sure, if the ovar grid is prefered.

Depending on your favorit cooks, ya have to buy the oval or the round. I´v both B)

Oval grid is better for ribs (cause ya can slide out the grid) and the round grid is better for butts i.e.
    Cause ya need´nd to slide out butts, but need the full space of the large. There sits 3 butts on the round grid.

The extender is a great addition. The grids sits just on top of the extender. Nothing to lock.
    But no worries, it woeks well.
  • Simon
    I have to get everything just right to close my LBGE when I had the rig in, with the BGE grid on the top of the rig and the extender on top of that. Do you have an issue too? If I have the BGE grid off, all is well, but if it is on I have to have everything perfect or the egg will not shut right.

BTW Frankie
    Best investment next to my thermapen, I use it all of the time. Not to mention the spider and the cast iron grid for the small (which I use on my small and on my large with the spider)
  • Dirty,

None of the pictures I see show the extender being used with the BGE grid. Just the extender on top of the rig and the oval grate on that.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    The rig extender is designed to sit on the rig's upper ring. it's not really designed to sit on the bge grid atop the rig. t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • tjv,

Just the man to ask!!

Is the oval the preferred grate?

Do you sell more because they can be used with the sliding option?
  • tjv
    You might check the adjustable rig section of the shopping cart for oval vs round grid. I put up several reasons why one might choose round or oval.

The oval grid just sits on the rig extender, making it easier to move ribs around. Just rotate the grids and not the actual ribs.

I also like to do spatchcock chickens and pizza up on the rig extender. Oval or round grid works for chicken and 16 inch stone for the za. The rig extender puts a grid about 7.5 inches above the fire ring, so you are really up in the dome.

Feel free to email or call if you like. Tom
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    You don't get that kind of customer service just anywhere! :woohoo: :cheer:
  • That is what I've heard!!

I just cant make up my mind!!! :angry:
  • I also like to do spatchcock chickens and pizza up on the rig extender.

Tom, do you put the pizza stone on top of the rig extender?
    Do you use any other heat deflector on the rig or on the spider when you do pizza?
    see you in Plano!
    thanks, B)
  • MO Mule
    MO Mule Posts: 81
    I did, mine should be arriving tomorrow just in time for the weekend...
  • tjv
    I cook the pappa murphy's thin crust za. All I use is the 16 inch stone. It matches up nicely with murphy's 16 in za. Dome temp is around 425-450. The za sits high in the dome.

I guess if needed, you could add a second stone lower, on the spider or lowest rig setting, to create more of an indirect set-up under the 16 stone.

Picture006.jpg
  • tjv
    thanks, labor of love........
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Tom,

Can I call you at that number tomorrow?

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• I've had trouble with "licking flames" without another baffle, but Ku likes to do Zas around 500-550 -- that may be the problem....
  • tjv
    I'll be around in the morning.
  • tjv
    don't peak so often.......LOL......

see in Plano......
  • I thought not. It would not be an issue if I would just but more grids from you. But I only have 2 oval grids from you and so if I need a 3rd grid, I have to do some jimmying!

Have you ever thought of designing it so the BGE grid could sit on the rig and the extender on the BGE grid?

Either way - I do not know what I would do without your product, that is a damn fact
    tim