Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Garlic Knots using pizza dough?

Mud Pig
Mud Pig Posts: 489
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey guys/gals,
I was thinking about making some garlic knots to go along with some pies tonight since my sis is in town visiting my parents. I looked up some recipes and it seems as though people have specific dough recipes for knots. Has anyone tried simply using the pizza dough they had on hand?

If so, how much of the pizza dough did you use for each knot and what were your cook times and temps?

Thanks,

MP

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    This should solve the problem.

Pizza, Stromboli, Garlic Knots, Chuck

Thanks go out to everyone that made this weekend one to remember for a long time. It was great to meet so many new people, hang out with some friends and eat some awesome food. Too many good foods to list.

INGREDIENTS:
    Pizza dough:
    1 cup warm water, 105° - 115°
    1- 1/2 tbs sugar
    1 package dry yeast
    3 cups + bread flour
    3/4 tbs salt
    1 tbs olive oil
    Stromboli:
    1/2 Pizza dough recipe
    3 tbs or to taste, roasted garlic mashed in olive oil
    6 oz grated mozzarella / provolone cheese blend
    1/4- 1/3 lb slicing pepperoni
    Parmesan / Romano cheese blend to taste
    Garlic Knots:
    1 pizza dough recipe
    1/2 cup chopped parsley
    1/2 head garlic crushed in garlic press
    1/2 cup olive oil
    Parmesan / Romano cheese blend

Procedure
    Pizza Dough
    1 Mix water, sugar and yeast in a bowl and let proof for 5 minutes.
    2 Put flour, salt and olive oil in bread machine or mixer and add fluid.
    3 Let rip on dough cycle of bread machine or mix until dough pulls away from side of bowl and let rise for 1 hour.
    4 Coat dough with olive oil, cover and proof in the refrigerator for 4 hours or overnight. (The dough at Eggfest was made Thursday night and refrigerated until Saturday)
    5 This recipe will make two strombolis, two 12" - 14" pizzas, or 30 or 40 garlic knots.
    Stromboli:
    1 Roll out dough to 8" X 14".
    2 Spread roasted garlic in a wide strip the length of the dough. Evenly spread cheeses leaving ½" plain on the edges.
    3 Layer pepperoni evenly.
    4 Roll from long side, don't roll too tight
    5 SLIGHTLY moisten edge and pinch tight to seal, do the same with the ends
    6 Egg on your pizza setup, you can do two at once, at 450 for 15-20 minutes until nicely browned.
    7 I invert my plate setter, put a cooking grid on the inverted legs and place the pizza stone on the grid. IMO this heats the stone more evenly and doesn't overheat it and burn the crust before the inside is done. This is especially helpful when doing multiple stromboli, quesadilla or pizza cooks.
    Garlic Knots:
    1 Mix parsley, garlic and olive oil and let sit for at least 1 hour.
    2 Roll out dough to ½" and cut in strips 1" X 4".
    3 Roll slightly and tie in a loose ½ knot. Egg on pizza setup at 450° for 10 -15 minutes until browned.
    4 Toss them in bowl with garlic mixture until well coated and then sprinkle with cheese.

Servings: 1

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Side Dish

Recipe Source
    Author: Chuck

Source: BGE Forum, Chuck, 2004/05/10
  • Mud Pig
    Mud Pig Posts: 489
    Thanks Richard
  • Rick G
    Rick G Posts: 185
    would you let the knots rise after they are tied before cooking??