Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any suggestions for cold smoking a tenderloin?

Options
LL
LL Posts: 4
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I had an amazing cold smoked beef tenderloin when I was in Fort Worth at a place called JR's and I want to try to replicate it.

I was told that it was cold smoked over hickory for two hours and then cut and fired like a normal steak.

Any suggestions, particularly on keeping the smoke temp low enough would be appreciated.

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    What size egg are you cooking on? How long have you had it?
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • cookn biker
    Options
    That's what I thought.... :ermm: :laugh: :)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    ;) They stand out like a tu#d in punchbowl don't they? :laugh:
  • cookn biker
    Options
    Yeppers!!! :whistle:
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • LL
    Options
    It's a large and I've had it for about a year and a half.
  • LL
    Options
    Wow, not really sure what the issue is here, but thanks for all the help.
  • Hoss
    Options
    Sorry! :blush: Jumped the gun there.A lotta times people will post "unusual" questions and then NEVER come back.My BAD! No harm intended.Firetruck came up with a really neat way to cold smoke.A soup/soda/beer can filled with woodchips and fired by an electric soldering iron.If you can't find it in the search forum email me via the forum and I'll explain the setup and procedure step by step. ;):)
  • cookn biker
    Options
    So do you know about

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/

and

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/dogfront.htm
    (just get past the dog page and you'll be fine..hahaha)

Cold smoke around 170 to 190. Steak them up and high temp grill. Should be good.
    Let me know, ok.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • LL
    Options
    Thanks, I'll see if I can find those posts.
  • cookn biker
    Options
    Hoss,
    I think that's more for cheese. :)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • Hoss
    Options
    It will work for any COLD smoking.He can cold smoke it a little while and not have to worry about temps.He said after smoking it was cooked like a regular steak.I think that's right.He could do a lo-n-slo smoke then sear I guess.That's just not how I understood his question. :)
  • cookn biker
    Options
    Sure he could.
    Just concerned if he knows about the danger zone/times/temps.
    that should almost be a sticky on this forum. guess I'll hop over to the feedback and suggest that. :laugh:
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • two hours isn't a long time...

cold smoking is very mild, and takes a looooong time to add any color and smoke flavor.

the temps of 170-190 are still hot-smoke temps.

you want to be down under 140 or so. but again, i think hot smoking at a lower temp of 180-90 would actually be better. if i were gonna cold smoke, it'd be for four, five, six hours.

sounds like their description is a little off. you sure it was only two hours? maybe they only go 2 hours because anything much longer and you'd maybe wanna cure it. but then, i'd ask them why 2 hours cold, since i'd be so minimal.

scroo it. i'd say pick a temp, say 190, and put the smoke to it, then fire it at a higher temp til done.

there's no one that could tell the difference.
  • cookn biker
    Options
    I agree!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC08178a.jpg

Actually, the purists define cold smoking as less than 100° and in addition to cheese, nuts and items with curing agents added.... cold smoke can be used very effectively as a flavor enhancer on many things prior to grilling. Chicken, pork ribs, pork loin, pork chops and ham steaks are among the most popular that come to mind. The flavor is stronger than you think as you burn 100% wood, and usually the wood is very fine. You have to be careful not to oversmoke. Some units even use special sawdust that is quite dense.

I got my first box smoker 36 years ago and still use one for certain things.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • my efforts at cold smoking have been with a conventional fire in the egg, at low temps. i don't think it develops enough fire to really smokewell, frankly. maybe th small can and soldering iron trick would work better, or the pro-Q smoker. smoldering sawdust seems to me like it would be better than the home made offset rig with dryer hose.

thinking maybe you get more smoke with dust and a smoldering fire than you do with chunks/chips and a very low fire
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Because wood smoke is so strong, the issue is getting the proper draft, otherwise you get dead smoke and your food can get bitter. The pictures of the tin can / soldering iron set-up I've seen are usually sitting in a clean Egg and on top of the charcoal grate.... I've never tried that method, but it looks worth a try.

d0693ccc.jpg

Many of the cold smokers have a separate smoke generator piped to the smoking chamber. In fact big smokehouses often have an underground pipe for the smoke to travel through. The length of the pipe cools and mellows the smoke. Here is an example of using an Egg as the smoke generator and a styro cooler as the chamber. Note the exhaust vent in the lid of the cooler.

BGESmokerBox.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery