Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

'Za on the Mini

Options
chocdoc
chocdoc Posts: 461
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Tonight Anna and I made pizza on the mini. First piece of dough was sacrificed to see if the stone was warm enough.

I had the plate setter, the grill, pie plate and 8" round kiln shelf on that.

After the first pizza took a lot longer to cook than we had hoped - we added some more fuel and got Eggbertina up to a decent temperature. Her walls were glowing as you can see here.

5058662754_49e237ffba.jpgthis sucker is hot! by ChocDoc1, on Flickr

The next pizza took about 5 minutes - and came out pretty much perfectly as you can see here.

5058662402_5f626e25fe.jpgFunghi pizza by ChocDoc1, on Flickr

The next took 4 minutes -

5058050145_d80455bc0d.jpgtapanade, mozzarella and parmesan by ChocDoc1, on Flickr

Then we decided to take a bit of dough and drizzle with oil, salt and pepper. 3 minutes was ok for the top...

5058050461_0582d496cb.jpg

[url=http:/5058663088_704231146a.jpg3 minutes by

not so good for the bottom...

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    You and Anna are learning just fine Kerry!! I love watching, thank you for sharing!! :)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • foneman
    foneman Posts: 104
    Options
    Chocdoc,
    Your pizza looks great!!! What are you using for a platesetter on your mini? Inquiring minds would like to know. thanks!!

john
  • chocdoc
    Options
    That would be a 7.9 inch plate setter that I got from Fort Pottery in August, GA. He mailed it to me here in Canada. It's a tiny bit bigger than I would like, and it does have the hole in the middle - but I generally cover that with another bit of tile.

He also cut down a kiln shelf for me to an 8 inch round which is what I'm using for my perfect pizza stone.
  • cookn biker
    Options
    Hey Kerry, You could just put a wad of alum foil in that hole....a thought.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
  • foneman
    foneman Posts: 104
    Options
    Thanks for the information!! I will contact them..

john
  • chocdoc
    Options
    Actually after I added the extra fuel to the mini tonight I didn't even cover the hole - and I don't think it made a whole lot of difference. I think the flames coming up around the sides and shooting out the top were more significant!
  • cookn biker
    Options
    hahaha, I know that with the little beast.. :laugh: :whistle::)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • Lovenbrau
    Lovenbrau Posts: 307
    Options
    Did the olive oil escape and get under the za? that has happened to me before and char on the bottom was the result. Just a thought. Cheers!
  • chocdoc
    Options
    Lovenbrau wrote:
    Did the olive oil escape and get under the za? that has happened to me before and char on the bottom was the result. Just a thought. Cheers!

Don't think so. First pizza the cheese got under the za - poor peel technique. Had to flip the pizza stone when we added more fuel. I suspect the other side is pretty clean now from the heat!