Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

london broil

Options
Kyle
Kyle Posts: 156
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
O.k.
Sucessful with the burgers, ready for a london broil tonite. I've got a 1"thick cut. Tell me how to cook and I'm there. Didn't see any recipe in the recipe section.P.S want a nice medium done cook.

Comments

• BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    Options
    kyle,[p]I usually marinate london broil in Guinness and garlic. You can add other spices to the marinade (black pepper, worsterchire sauce, etc.). Marinate it overnight and cook it like a steak.
  • Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    Mvc-462f.jpg
    <p />kyle, the one in the picture was about 1 inch thick. I was marinated for about 4 hours with 'Mike's Dad's Salad Dressing / Marinade' recipe that can be found in the recipe section.[p]
    [ul][li]Mike's Dad's Salad Dressing / Marinade[/ul]
  • Gfw
    Options
    Forgot the time and temp - cooked at a dome temperature 700 degrees for 3 minutes/side and a 4 minute slowdown.

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    london2.jpg
    <p />kyle,[p]Marinated, and tossed on the EGG at 700 deg for 4 min per side. Then I added a handfull of mesquite chips and closed the dome and bottom vents for about 5 min. Be very careful when you have wood chips in the Egg and it's closed up. Always open the vent and remove top 1st. [p]GFW's times were close to mine but he has a med Egg and the one pictured is a large -- I have noticed my small does some searing jobs faster than the big guy so I assume the med will also sear faster than the large. [p]There is nothing like a good digital instant read Polder for a check check to insure proper doneness. Have fun - go for it. Remember to fill the firebox at least 3/4 full.[p]Tim[p]
  • Gfw
    Options
    Tim M -- we could almost put these 2 pictures together and call them a pair! Yous looks like mine before I cut it up. Have a great evening.

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    kyle,[p]My favorite method is courtesy of JJ. Marinate overnight in a flavorful beer (I use a strong pale ale). Sear at 700F for 2 minutes each side and remove. Thin slice across the grain and finish cooking in a cast iron pan in the Egg. Since you can see the doneness when cutting, it is easy to make it perfect every time.[p]Spin

• bdavidson
    bdavidson Posts: 411
    Options

I agree with you, Spin. I used JJ's method with my last LB and soaked it in beer overnight...soooooo good. London broil al-au pouivre (without the pouivre)!

• Spin
    Options
    bdavidson,[p]JJ has submitted a recipe for steak au poivre that is a real treat. Be careful with the flame caused by the alcohol used.[p]Spin
    [ul][li]Steak Au Poivre[/ul]
  • Kyle
    Kyle Posts: 156
    Options
    Almost perfect. Wife marinated meat in Teriyaki sauce over night. Based on all you good people I went with 700 4 min noticed a little extra charring (think I had some flaming from the sauce) so when I flipped went down to 3min then 5 min dwell. Very juicy with a very nice flavoring cooked a little more than I prefer will do some adjusting next go around to get pinker center. Boy that gas grill is starting to collect dust. This is fun!!Cooking made fun again.
    Thanks again for the tips.

• Tim M
    Options
    Spin,[p]Yea, thanks for reminding me about that recipe, I have to try that one. Have you tried it? I have a 13" iron skillet - I wonder if that's too big?? It will be about 20 times bigger than the steak.[p]Tim
  • Tim M
    Options
    kyle,[p]The key is adjusting to your likes. What you did sounds like I would like it - I like the black char on mine, but it must have a pink center. You can always skip the dwell and just sear and remove. With some thinner cuts that will be very likely - with 2" cuts you will need to add time. Have fun with it and enjoy.[p]Tim
  • bdavidson
    bdavidson Posts: 411
    Options
    Spin,
    Yes! I've tried it and it's delicious! I made it for my wife's birthday in April and it was a huge hit. Can't wait to try it again. We eat a lot of steak, but not a lot of filet!

• Spin
    Options
    Tim M,[p]It is very good. I use a 12" for the cook and have no problems. The bigger pan heats the cream up quicker.
    I encourage you to give it a taste.[p]Spin