Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Spreading the love this Valentine’s Day with your EGG? Virginia Willis’ three course menu is perfect for a date night! February is also National Chocolate Lover’s Month, so don’t feel guilty if you’ve been cooking a little more dessert than usual on your EGG. If you’re looking for something a little more savory than chocolate, try some Roasted Chicken Flatbread or Pork Tenderloin with Honey Mustard.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and the Culinary Center too!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Chicken Thighs

TnVolKenTnVolKen Posts: 198
edited 12:28AM in EggHead Forum
How many chicken thighs can you place on a large big green egg?

Comments

• CecilCecil Posts: 771
    I think I do 15 at a time.

Walt
  • vidalia1vidalia1 Posts: 7,091
    If you have an adjustable rig (or some way to do multi layer cooking)probably 50-60 pretty easily... :)
  • FidelFidel Posts: 10,172
    This is kinda like asking how many licks it takes to get to the center of a Tootsie-Pop. In practice I doubt anyone can give you an actual upper limit number.

As many or as few as you'd like. You can even put a big ole pile of 'em on there and rotate occasionally to get them all done.
  • FlaPoolmanFlaPoolman Posts: 11,670
    75 thighs and 947 licks B)
  • best to have a deep enough drip pan and maybe go indirect too . that many thighs is going to produce a lot of chicken fat..
  • I did a pkg of Sam's thighs (about 15-17) on an ajustable rig direct at 350 Sunday. They dripped fat pretty good but didnt burn. After it got to smokin good (rolling out the gasket and top) I adjusted temp down and cooked for about an hour. They were good but I wont do that many next time without a drip pan.
  • thirdeyethirdeye Posts: 7,428
    DSC04338f.jpg

10 is no problem at all, and I think Walt's answer of 15 would be very manageable and wouldn't effect color or an even doneness.

DSC04358h.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery