Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Update (Need help Baked toes )

aaind
aaind Posts: 235
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok over noonhour yesterday I fired up the lg ,to 350 ,put on 3 potato's ,took just 1 hour ,to night we load up the lg with 10 lbs ,I am gussing 1hr and 10 -15 min ???

Comments

• I cook my spuds for one to two hours, wrapped in aluminum foil and a little olive oil. Temp 300 to 350.
    Billy
    Wilson, NC
    Large BGE - WiFi Stoker - Thermapen - 250 Cookbooks

• icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    They are done when they are done...
    Can take 1-2 hours depending on size and water content. Oh..and type of potato!
  • aaind
    aaind Posts: 235
    We do not wrapped in aluminum foil ,just rub in olive oil and koser salt
  • Ah I see a great debate rising, wrapped or unwrapped? I prefer wrapped, I placed mine on the half moon stone that was a gift, wasn't sure what I was going to do with a half moon stone (XL) until I started doing steaks and toes at the same time.

So the second question, direct or indirect for the toes????

BTW, I had 3 toes that were the size of a kids fooball, took 2 hours but they were oh so good....!

Smokin'Stogies in Exton, Pa with my wife and our four dogs; Sully and Boo the Newfoundlands, Murphy the Irish Setter and Alli the Beagle/Lab mix. 

Eggers Prayer-

Our egg, which art in sizes, hallowed be thy smoke, thy will be grilled, at home as it is at eggfest. Give us this clay our daily brisket and forgive us our rubs, as we forgive those who gas grill against us, and lead us not to flashback but deliver us from overnighters. For thine is the grill, the smoke, the egg. Let's eat!

• Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566
    This is how I do them except I rub with Shakin' the tree from Dizzy pig
  • wrapped, it's just a steamed potato. might as well toss it in the microwave then. :ermm:

i like them baked, maybe even rubbed in oil and salted first. potato skins are gold in this house, and my son will get the evil eye if i ask him whether he's going to eat them, and he says yes, and then (gasp) does not eat them. if ever there were a corporal offense in my house...

by the way... much talk here about food safety, focusing on pork butts and undercooked meat. it should be noted that although botulism can be relatively rare, one of the more common ways people get botulism is from foil wrapped potatoes being handled (kept) improperly.

interesting, eh?
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Nothing like a potato skin stuffed with salad.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• i'm a butter man, myself. and none of this "squeeze parkay" cr^p. what is the logic behind THAT?

:laugh:
  • BigA
    BigA Posts: 1,157
    I thought your post yesterday should have helped you out with this. and yes they are a potato not toes :laugh:
  • Abe,

That is interesting, what does that mean for all those who wrap briskets and butt in HDAL? If the meat is hot enough, and the potatoes sure are, it should not make a difference one would think. That said, I think I might try unwrapped next time. I like to put a few pats of irish butter and dizzy pig on mine and wrapping holds all of that together!

Smokin'Stogies in Exton, Pa with my wife and our four dogs; Sully and Boo the Newfoundlands, Murphy the Irish Setter and Alli the Beagle/Lab mix. 

Eggers Prayer-

Our egg, which art in sizes, hallowed be thy smoke, thy will be grilled, at home as it is at eggfest. Give us this clay our daily brisket and forgive us our rubs, as we forgive those who gas grill against us, and lead us not to flashback but deliver us from overnighters. For thine is the grill, the smoke, the egg. Let's eat!

• potatoes grow in the gorund, hence botulism.

the risk is small, though. if you like yer po-Tats in foil, then foil on, baby. ;)