Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Time On The Forum Adds Up

Options
Spring Chicken
Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just noticed that I've posted 10,168 times on the Forum. That doesn't make me the most prolific poster but it does put me up fairly close to them.

Then I got to thinking just how long did each post take to initiate from start to finish? I know some were very brief but even those took maybe half a minute. But some were kinda lengthy, especially those when I was performing my "Forum Checks." Those usually took upwards of an hour or more, and there were lots of them.

Then there were those that I added photos to which usually had to be uploaded to Photobucket first, sometimes after a lengthy search through my photo albums. Plus the recipes and tips and links to useful articles. Oh yea, and the movies I posted to YouTube.

So I started totaling up my time devoted to this Forum by counting as best I could using all my fingers and toes. I eventually concluded that for every time I posted, I probably read at least fifty posts without comment. I also fingered that each of my posts took an average of about twenty-five minutes to compile (conserative guesstiment) and submit.

If my 'fingering' is correct, I've spent 4,236.7 hours posting.

And during that time I read 508,400 posts with an average time of one minute each which amounts to 8,743.3 hours.

I ran out of counting fingers way back but if my matriculations are right, I've devoted 12,980 hours to submitting information to this Forum.

To take it a little further, assuming that my average post contained 50 words (very conservative figure) with an average of 8 letters per word, and an error rate of 1 per two words (hey I was sleepy) then I would have stroked the keys over 1,055,845,000 times.

And that's not counting this post...

Spring "Every Stroke Counts" Chicken
Spring Texas USA

Comments

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    and we have read and loved everyone of them :)
  • Billy Grill Eggster
    Options
    Glad you are a "hunt and peck" kinda guy.
    Thanks for spending your typing time on the Egghead Forum.
    Billy
    Wilson, NC
    Large BGE - WiFi Stoker - Thermapen - 250 Cookbooks

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Leroy,

It's a better place because of it too. ;)
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    1,055,845,000 ? That's billion, with a "B".

If you are a fast typer and can type 5 keystrokes per second, and you type continuously for 14 hours a day, every day of the year, that's 11.4790715 years.

So, you have no time to cook and I know now that Spring Hen has been the real cook behind those wonderful meals all this time, while you take the credit. Shame on you !

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• when i killed off "stike" at my milestone (more likely a MILLstone), i calculated something like that, only i calc'd it in billable hours lost, since i post while "working". it was about $40k in list billable time :pinch:

by my calcs, i only got to around 233 hours, or 5 weeks and four days. not sure how you did yer math :whistle:
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    would be good if you could be paid the hours it takes the forum members googling to find out what you said in some of your posts :laugh: :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Ik probeer om dingen interesserend te maken!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: im talkin when your speakin english :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    I used my fingers. Easier and doesn't need batteries.

Spring "Sparks Fly When I'm 'a Count'n" Chicken
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    That'd be about right. I learn't hwo tu tipe fass in the Army. But they didn't learn me how to think fass at th same time.

Spring "I Think I'll Punch This Here Key" Chicken
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Thanks... But most of the time I was just bored and my little brain-pea felt like running loose.

Spring "Rolling Rolling What's That Rolling Around In My Head" Chicken
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Don't do no "hunt'n." Just let my fangers go where the pea tells 'em to go.

Spring "Wonder Why I Typed That" Chicken
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Awwwwwwww... You're just saying that because you love me and want me to come up to Maine sometime.

Okay...

Spring "Where's Maine" Chicken
  • it's english you ant then?

This accordaunce atempryth by evenelyke maneres the elementz, that the moiste thingis, stryvynge with the drye thingis, yeven place by stoundes.
  • base ten. excellent
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    actually, 9.9927 but I cheat the difference. Lost a chunk to a table saw last year. Thought I was gonna have to start count'n in fractions but cheat'n's easier, excepting I can't make a living at it.

Spring "Don't Know How To Cheat For Money" Chicken
  • BigA
    BigA Posts: 1,157
    Options
    My gosh man that is over a years worth of BBQ talk and not BBQing.
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    But that's over a ten year period during which I learned a great deal more than I contributed. And much of the time was at 2:00 AM while in the process of performing "Forum Checks" including brief visits to the room containing the porcelain furniture.

No cook-time was actually wasted when you consider all that I gained from the Eggsperiences.

Spring "Midnight Student" Chicken
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

... The time you spent entertaining and enlightening the rest of us is appreciated every bit as much the effort and time you put into them.

You didn't factor in the time it took to think up all those creative signature lines.

A big thanks from one of many, Kent
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Thanks Kent, but it was all fun for me, and if people got a little bit of entertainment out of it, so much the better.

As for the "creative signature lines" they come natureal most of the time. Gives me something else to do before I disappear into the digital wilderness.

Spring "Fun Is More Fun When Others Smile" Chicken
  • Boatman
    Boatman Posts: 854
    Options
    And hopefully you will post 1,055,845,000 more characters B) How's the knee coming along?
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Thanks. I'll try to but for some reason the older I get the slower I get.

Oh yea, the knee... Coming along nicely, thank you. I still have a small problem with a nerve that makes my foot feel like its asleep and burns but I'm hoping even that will go away. In fact, I'm about ready to tell them to schedule me for the other knee.

I figure it will be easier now that I know what to expect.

Meanwhile, the weather here is absolutely wonderful and I'm enjoying every second of it.

Spring "Old Ain't What It Used To Be" Chicken
  • uglydog
    uglydog Posts: 256
    Options
    Leroy, we have enjoyed every one of your posts; I particularly enjoyed the forum checks in which you told stories from your youth. You get an extra gold star for being a voice of moderation during the recent forum visits by that obnoxious guest, General Rancor. I also need to thank you for clueing me in to the wonderful world of Woot! Although they don't get much of my doneros, I have to read their fabulous writeups every morning. Hope the other knee goes well. Uglydog
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Well thank you. And I can use all the gold stars I can get.

Funny thing about my youthful stories, there are many more of them and they are just as clear in my .... in my .... (the round thing that sits on my shoulders) as when I did them. I'm trying to get up the muster to put 'em to ink before my little pea stops rolling.

As you may know, Woot.com is now part of Amazon.com. I noticed a few changes right off but I'm happy to see they have continued their very creative introduction of whatever is on the block that day. I'm sure it's probably one very talented guy with a very wild imagination. And I'm sure he has fun doing it.

Thanks also on the knee-best-wishes. I'm hoping to be walking without a limp when we cruise Hawaii in April.

Thanks again.

Spring "Wide Open With An Appropriate Amount Of Moderation" Chicken
  • BigA
    BigA Posts: 1,157
    Options
    you have a great point there. it is amazing how the throne can turn into a work chair :laugh: :laugh: