Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

burnt gasket + pizza

Options
Timealloy
Timealloy Posts: 1
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Greetings BGE Helpdesk! I've read about burning gaskets while making pizza (500+ degrees) and after a few weeks of purchasing a medium sized egg I did it as well. My BGE pizza stone is 14 inches in diameter and I wonder if I was sold a pizza stone that was too big in diameter (~14") for my medium sized EGG? Also, I cooked with the place setter legs up and previously cooked chicken and the drippings soaked into the place setter. When I removed the pizza the north side of the place setter was ablaze from the chicken drippings and the neighborhood was filling up with dense white smoke. So I have three questions; 1) does anyone use a 14 inch diameter pizza stone in a medium egg?, 2) should the place setter be set with legs down for pizza and, 3) Should I have cleaned the EGG by a high temperature burn before I tried to cook pizza at a high temp. (500)? Thanks for any help offered!!

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    1) I'm not sure (don't have a medium), but perhaps the 14" could have forced more air out the sides. Is it any bigger than the plate setter?

2) For pizza or baking- legs down

3) It is a good idea to let the egg burn a while before doing a pizza. The dough really soaks up the flavor fast, so you want a nice clean burning fire. Let it go at full blaze until all the crap burns off then back it down to your desired temp and throw on your pizza.

Another side note- many people cook with no gasket and consensus is that it works just fine (just close the lid carefully).

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• PhilOsh
    PhilOsh Posts: 84
    Options
    My pizza stone for the Med is 12"

I have the legs down on the pizza stone

I would clean things up with a high temp burn and then try to catch drippings and keep the plate setter clean.

Sure makes a good pizza though once you work through the details.

Phil
  • Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Options
    When cooking indirect with the platesetter (legs up) I wrap the top (food side) of the platesetter in foil to avoid drippings soaking in.

Might not be necessary but as you discovered some liquids can soak in pretty well and really smoke things up later.
    New Orleans LA