Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT Vitamix

Richard Fl
Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Have a friend looking into buying a Vitamix to go with her juicer/blender. Any thoughts or someone have one to sell at a fair price? TIA

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Tell us about your friend B)

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Richard Fl
    You mean I can have more that 2 friends at the same time. You have met her. Lambchop per Little Chef's nomination.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    The Cadillac of blenders.

If you do a lot of blending (and I mean a lot) or make a lot of smoothies/frozen drinks that require serious ice damage, then they are worth the expense.

Otherwise, stick with a run of the mill blender for occasional moderate use.
  • EGGRPh
    EGGRPh Posts: 180
    I agree with Fidel. I have one and it is fantastic. It comes with a wet blender and a dry blender. The dry you can use to break down grains into flour. You can also cook soup in it. We call it the blender from hell. Wife makes smoothies for the kids in it all the time.

Stef in Brunswick, Oh.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Kim and I have smoothies every morning and have since January. The blender we have is an Osterizer beehive 2 speed model. Got it at Walmart for $39. Can't justify what a Vitamix costs, although I've considered buying one many times over the years. -RP
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    I think that's the same one we have, the stainless base, glass pitcher, nothing fancy but it does the job.
  • BobinFla
    BobinFla Posts: 363
    You mean this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2m1Nubw8XJw

Well, that's what I always think of when I hear or read about a Vitamix...

:laugh: :laugh: ;)

BOB
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    I have one and LOVE it... used it for a lot of different things at first but now it is just an adult drink maker. if you are into frozen drinks it makes the best, very smooth and no lumps in the straws ;)and it goes on and on.
  • Richard Fl
    Bet it makes a mean mango Daiquiri. But as you know this is one of our favorite adult beverages.

Beverage, Vodka, Martini, Pomegranate, Carrabba's

INGREDIENTS:
    2 Ozs. Vodka, Peach, Absolute
    2 Ozs. Orange Juice, Fresh
    3/4 Oz. Pomegranate Mix, Monin
    Splash Sprite
    1.75 Liters equals 60 ozs equals 30 drinks.
    1.75 Liters Vodka Peach, Vodka
    60 Ozs. Orange Juice
    22.5 Ozs Monin

Directions:
    1 Mix and shake over cubes of ice. Strain into a chilled martini glass.

Recipe Type
    Beverage

Cooking Tips
    MONIN, Clearwater, FL
    http://www.moninstore.com/prod_Detail.html?prodID=43&flavor=Pomegranate

Recipe Source
    Source: Carrabbas, Melbourne, Florida, 2006/12/22
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    You saw mine at the mini fest. I got mine used and had to replace the the gear in the top. have about 50.00 in a 300+ blender. If you have the cash to blow get it. I would look at craigs list or a coffee shop. You never know what you might find.
  • Richard Fl
    How could I see anything with all the alcoholic beverages flowing. Was it a vitamix that made those pfoo pfoo drinks?
  • I have a Vita-mix Blender and I just think it is wonderful. The things it will do that other blenders won’t do, as well, may be worth the extra $$$. If you want to, liquify almost any thing, heat soup, make fresh flour, etc. Also a good all purpose blender. I use it to liquify all of the fresh ingredients for my marinades and feel it does a better job with the flavors.