Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First cook with Digi-Q

Options
Paco
Paco Posts: 27
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I cooked (3) 11 pound pork butts over the weekend with the Digi-Q in my Large BGE (tight fit). Worked great!
Cook for 23-1/2 hours at 230. Had to bump it up a little towards the end to make 195 by dinner time.
All three turned out great, lots of complements.

Comments

• Cruezn
    Cruezn Posts: 317
    Options
    I have the Nano, but they work great, and make it alot more relaxing on a long cook (at least for me)
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    Options
    Cruezn wrote:
    I have the Nano, but they work great, and make it alot more relaxing on a long cook (at least for me)

Me too. I used it on my ribs yesterday. Oh so good they were.
  • GeorgiaBorn
    Options
    Gettin a Digi-Q II for my birthday tomorrow. Paco, would love to hear some specifics on how you set everything up for your cook.

Did u let the BGE get up to temp before putting on the Digi or did you put it on before lighting and let that get you up to temp? What about the daisy wheel? How open was that? Gimme the scoop!

• danny285
    danny285 Posts: 360
    Options
    DigiQ is my 2nd favorite Eggcessorie behind my TurboGrate, you will reayy enjoy the digiq, set it and forget it, seems i heard that somewhere before.
  • Paco
    Options
    That's great GeorgiaBorn...Happy Birthday.
    I would be more than happy to share what I did but keep in mind, it was my first overnighter with the DigiQ.
    I started the fire and let it stabilize somewhat. I put in my wood chunks, then the plate setter, drip pan, adjustable rig, and the 3 butts (2 on bottom and one on top). I then fed the thermocouple wires through the holes in the daisy wheel (food in top butt and pit on top grid). I closed the daisy wheel almost all the way (just touching the wires) and set the guru.
    I can say, it was the first overnighter I actually slept.
  • GeorgiaBorn
    Options
    Thanks Paco! So I assume you already had the fan attachment in place on the bottom damper before lighting your fire?
  • Paco
    Options
    I put it all togather after I started the fire.