Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XL vs L

Options
texas_archer
texas_archer Posts: 56
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Im thinking about getting a XL Egg but the salesman by my house made the comment that the XL was not as good and efficient as the L. Of course, he did not have any XLs in stock and had alot of larges in stock.

So, whats your thoughts on this? Does the XL have issues (don't plan on moving it much so weight is not a issue)? Is the Large the best egg to buy?

Thanks,

dsm

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Welcome to the madhouse! I have a large and it's great. Lots of folks have XLs and love them too. Not sure I'd want to buy from a dealer who's giving you a line like that!

Here's some reading material for you. :laugh:

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?searchword=what+size+egg&dtstart=0&dtrange=0&orderby=score&pagelength=50&returnfirst=0&option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=112&func=search

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    The large is the most versatile.

How many are you cooking for? You can easily cook on 2 levels on the large to give you the same cooking space as the XL.

From my experience from cooking on both, the XL takes more lump, takes longer to get up to temperature, and takes longer to cool down. Unless you cook for big groups alot, the large should do you just fine.

Both sizes are equally efficient in cooking, your salesman gave you the wrong info on that, in my opinion.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • texas_archer
    Options
    Only cooking for 2 people normally but I tend to cook enough food to last three days at a time.

Oh, did I mention the XL was $750 New in Box (technically used but never taken out of the box).
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Huh? Technically new, but used. I thought your dealer didn't have any XL's. It sounds like a good price - larges are sold as demos at fests for around $700. What's the story on this XL?
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

• texas_archer
    Options
    Not from dealer. From someone who received it as a gift and doesn't want it - never took it out of the box.
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    The large should be good for you, and has the space to cook plenty of food for the 2 of you. If you like the deal on the XL, go for it - it's your call.

• Hustling Hare
    Options
    Florida Grillin Girl is right on. I have a large and cook on it only for 2 mostly and its quite serviceable. She mentioned several "too"'s that are important in the comparison. I'll light up the Lg for a couple of chicken breasts or a couple of salmon fillet chunks for just the two of us but then at Xmas with a party for 50 people I can cook a 22 lb turkey just fine. I've never felt I needed anything bigger.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    texas_archer,

If you go with the Xlarge, make sure you are getting the new style. The older style had a rather squat dome and limited a lot of the capability.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• texas_archer
    Options
    Was suppose to be purchased new this year. When did the new style come out?
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    The Large-XL thing hits the forum all the time.
    Most will tell you to go with the large and they can cook all they need to cook for 70 people on a large.
    The XL will do "everything" a Large can do and more because it's bigger.
    The XL has had several upgrades over the last couple years and I believe all the bugs are gone.
    I cook on my XLs way more than my large.
    I still like to cook large batches of wings and I like to cook my ribs flat. You can't lay two full racks of ribs on a large. (full not baby back)
    It's nice to work on one large grilling surface and not having to swap, rotate and move double layer grids. 24 inches of grilling area kills 18" hands down. Even a large brisket fits easy in the XL. I can cram a bunch of food on the large but the XL makes it easy.
    The XL will burn a little more lump but I find lump cheap in the Houston area and it's not a big deal.
    I don't find that it takes longer to heat up or cool down but I have not timed. Even my Small Egg holds the heat for a long time after shutting down.
    Ask Cookin Biker (Molly) how long it takes to cool down a "Mini"... :laugh:
    Much of the cool down depends on how fast you can snuff your fire before the cool down can start.
    I would check your XL deal to find out if it has the newer taller dome. I have cooked on both and found little difference but many really like the new dome and say it cooks better.
    If I was buying a new XL I would hold out for the newest model with new dome.
    If the extra dollar or two for lump is deal breaker buy a large.
    $750 for an XL is a great buy even with the older dome. Does it come with the nest?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    The new style has been out for several months but hit dealers as they sold what was in stock. No way to put a time line to it.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • texas_archer
    Options
    No, it does not come with the nest (at least I don't think it does). Even if it does, Im building a table for it.
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    "50 people I can cook a 22 lb turkey just fine"

Are 40 of them Super Models??? :woohoo:
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Here is a pic from Nieggara Fest 2 weeks ago. On the right there are 4 XL's. The first one has the new style dome, and the 2nd one in line has the older squattier (sp?) dome. Seeing them side by side is the only way you are going to know which one you have.

IMG01478-20100918-141812.jpg

Hope this helps.

• Da Kine Green BBQ
    Options
    OH! I am SO glad the Egg Factory changed the shape of the XL dome - the squatty one looked too lame for me - it was a major reason for me to NOT get the XL. I have 2 Large ones.

Now I have to wait for the next Eggfest in So. Cal. to get the XL!!!!

Thanks for posting the picture!
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    When you see them side by side the old style does look like a fallen cake... :laugh:
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    You say this XL is "new in the box" but technically used! Be careful of the warranty. BGE warrants to original owners only! If you are buying from an individual you will not be covered. I don't know if a dealer can pull it off or not, I suupose if the warranty card is still packed in the box you will be OK, but you do want to be careful :S
    :unsure:
  • Bash
    Bash Posts: 1,011
    Options
    I agree with what Darian says, but have a slightly different take.

I love my XL and if I could only have one, it would be an XL. But the thing is huge. I like it for bigger cooks (ribs, brisket, turkey, wings, abts, lotsa burgers).

Having said that, I use my medium more often than the XL, because for many cooks, the medium is all I need. I use it for dual spatchcock chickens, fish, roasts, anything DO, wok, chick parts, steaks, pork shops, etc. The things we normally eat.

I have toyed with getting a small (rationalize for camping :laugh: ), but really the XL and medium work out great for me.

Many newbies underestimate what they can do on the sizes. I suspect many people start XL or L and buy smaller sizes when they realize that their everyday cooks don't take as much room as they have.

Either is a great cooker. Many folks end up with more than one.

Richard
  • PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    Options
    I'd get the large and medium combo. More versatile. Using both the same time different temps, one indirect. Cooking for two? I have the medium and mini and that's only for me. I could easily use the med and mini for two and lots more. Many people on this forum have more than one size.
  • Spring Hen
    Spring Hen Posts: 1,578
    Options
    Come on up to Plano for the Outlaw Gathering November 5th and 6th and see the different types of food these eggs can put out. There will be some fantastic cooks there...email hornhonk to find out more about it.
    Judy
    Covington, Louisiana USA
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    That old style sqauty dome sure is a bummer :huh:

You can only cook 12 slabs of BBs on the old style XL dome :)

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=631328&catid=1

Excuse me - make that 15 B)

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=901845&catid=1

I guess maybe you could do 18 on the new style dome
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Those minis take FOREVER to cool down....hahahaha :whistle::whistle: :laugh:
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    What Bash says is true - the XL is huge. Go for whatever one you think is best. Good luck to you and come back and let us see some of your cooks.

• larryd
    larryd Posts: 121
    Options
    I have an XL and it doesn't take long to heat up, and as far as using more lump, I got the reducing ring from the ceramic grill store for smaller cooks. WORKS FOR ME!
  • Smokin' Stogies
    Options
    I am in the same boat with Bash. XL and Medium and the XL came first. I love it, see no difference in startup or cool down and little difference between the two in lump useage. For me, I cook different things on the different sizes and like Bash, if I had to choose one, it would be the XL. Monday night was TRex steaks and baked potato on the XL, tonight will be spatchcocked chicken on the medium. The nitty gritty is you can't go wrong with any size as they all are great! What it comes down to is if the warranty is intact and what you really want to do with it.

Smokin'Stogies in Exton, Pa with my wife and our four dogs; Sully and Boo the Newfoundlands, Murphy the Irish Setter and Alli the Beagle/Lab mix. 

Eggers Prayer-

Our egg, which art in sizes, hallowed be thy smoke, thy will be grilled, at home as it is at eggfest. Give us this clay our daily brisket and forgive us our rubs, as we forgive those who gas grill against us, and lead us not to flashback but deliver us from overnighters. For thine is the grill, the smoke, the egg. Let's eat!

• carz
    carz Posts: 8
    Options
    I have a XL and it is great. I may have done better by buying a large and a small. Then I could make different dishes at different temps.
  • Hustling Hare
    Options
    No, but there is a whole lot of other yummies. I cook the turkey(Mad Max style), acquire a ham and heat it, make great egg nog, and everyone brings something to go with all that. Everyone gets some turkey and no one goes away hungry.