Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eggs get a workout this weekend

Dimple's Mom
Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We had our annual apple pressing party this weekend and in addition to our usual crowd, we had 7 friends from out of town come on Friday and stay til Sunday, so the egg got a bit of use. My camera was broken so I didn't get many food photos, but the grilled peaches were a hit and were deemed photo worthy.

We grilled them cut side down first, flipped them over and added butter and brown sugar while the bottoms grilled. These were served with homemade vanilla ice cream and drizzled with peach balsamic vinegar. They were so good, we served them again on Saturday when the big crowd arrived. On Saturday we did half peaches and half nectarines and the nectarines were just as good. If I had had DP pineapple rub, I definitely would have put that on there.
IMG_3795.jpg

On Friday night we also did salmon on the egg and then on Saturday we did stuffed portabella mushrooms, zucchini boats, assorted Costco sausages, and the peaches/nectarines.

The zucchini were sort of interesting. I cut them lenghwise, hollowed them out, filled them with a mixture of goat cheese and roasted garlic, drizzled them with tuscan flavored oil and balsamic, and then grilled them. I'll definitely do them again.

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Sounds like a great weekend and if you only got one photo you sure got a good one.
    Peaches look great. Must try...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Dimple's Mom
    I forgot to add that this year we added appletinis to our festivities and all I can say is I can't believe it took us four years to figure out to include these! I looked up a bunch of recipes on the net, went out and got all the ingredients for all of them, and put them all out on a table with the 'recipes' printed up. By far, the most popular was the caramel apple martini which was to die for and I personally drank 5. The butterscotch schnapps was the only liquor we ran out of. Someone said it was really good in hot cocoa. I'll be buying a great big bottle of that stuff soon!
    IMG_3832e.jpg

More photos of the festivities:
    IMG_3804.jpg
    IMG_3807.jpg
    IMG_3827.jpg
    IMG_3830e.jpg
    IMG_3835.jpg
    IMG_3839e.jpg
    IMG_3842e.jpg
    IMG_3844e.jpg
  • EGGRPh
    EGGRPh Posts: 180
    Great pics. I would to be able to press my own cider. Got to watch as a kid at our local orchard now I can't find a place so my kids can see how it is done. I am really interested in the Caramel Apple Martini recipe could you please post it. Thanks.

Stef in Brunswick, Oh.
  • Dimple's Mom
    Often local farms that hold 'harvest festivals' will press cider. Sometimes nurseries will do it as well. I see you live in Ohio, so there should be farm country nearby, I would think. Maybe make some calls around and if they don't offer it, they might know someone who does.

Here are all the recipes we had out at the party. The caramel apple one is the last one.

2 oz. Vodka
    1/2 oz. Apple Pucker Schnapps or,
    1/2 oz. Apple Juice or Cider
    Combine ingredients in a shaker with ice. Shake well and strain into a chilled cocktail glass.

Stir ingredients together with crushed ice in a cocktail/martini glass, and serve.

2 oz vodka
    1 oz green-apple schnapps

2 part Vodka
    1 part Apple Schnapps
    Splash of Midori Liqueur
    Splash of Lime Juice
    Garnish: Green Apple Slice

1 oz Apple Schnapps
    1 splash Vermouth
    1 oz Vodka

Caramel Apple Martini:

2 parts butterscotch schnapps
    2 parts sour apple pucker
    1 part vodka
  • EGGRPh
    EGGRPh Posts: 180
    Thanks Gwen, I am going to try these this weekend. Maybe I'll kick back 5 on Saturday after TaeKwonDo and Hapkido classes.

Stef in Brunswick, Oh.
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Photo worthy indeed!! Wish we still had some fresh peaches. Was a rough year for them around hear. :(