Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need help Baked toes ????

aaind
aaind Posts: 235
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
With plate setter ,can you do 10 lbs at a time in a large how long and how hot ??

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    ???????? :unsure: :S
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    aaind, Are you asking if anyone has baked potato's in the egg and if a person can bake 10 pounds of potato's in the large egg with a plate setter.

I have baked several potato's in my large egg using the plate setter. I wash the potato and pat it dry if you have a mind to you can stab the potato with a fork once or twice. I add a small amount of evoo and kosher salt to the outside of the potato. I turn the potato part way through the cook. I would say bake them at 350F - 450F dome. I don't know how long it will take for them to bake where they are done. My guess one hour to two or even three hours. I know I have baked potato's and checked for doneness using my thermapen as 210F internal temp is a well cooked potato. If it is a large number of potato's I would try to put them on your plate setter as well as on your grid and if you have a second grid that would be good as well. Tim :)
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    the apostrophes....they hurt
  • PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    Again, if toes means potatoes ?? my experience is from my own kitchen oven. I've baked potatoes for a club function. Usually I can bake up to 4 large potatoes for one hour at 450', but when I do 40 potatoes it can take up to three hours. Lots of cold mass to heat up. I'd guess the same principle would apply to egging a lot of potatoes. Let us know.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,734
    would be easy to bake mashed potato's :laugh: you could make alot that way and i like them just as well, maybe even better depending what you add to them
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • 2Fategghead
    Rod, Are you saying that I should not use them because I am hurting you? :unsure:
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    No, not at all

I was speaking in one of my foreign languages
  • irishrog
    irishrog Posts: 375
    Do you mean pigs toes, AKA crubeens here in Ireland.
    I have never cooked them on a barbeque, but I have boiled them, they take about 4 hours to boil and are extremely greasy. If you cooked them in your egg I think you would probably regret it for a long time.
    However, if you boil them they are very tasty, but have very little meat.
    A real cheffy thing to do is bone them out before you cook them, and stuff them with rice, vegetables and the meat from the toes.
    Be adventurous and let us know how you get on.
    Roger
  • aaind
    aaind Posts: 235
    I have to do 75 ,going to use 3 large eggs ,was hoping somone had done this
    and give me some time and temps
  • :)'s :)'s

Smile's to English Major's :whistle:'s
  • 2Fategghead
    Do us a favor and let us know how it worked out for you. Tim :)
  • Try like this:
    Just put 'em on da coals. Burn 'em until they are soft, you can poke a skewer or fork into them. I guess the temperature would be "HI!" - eh?

3f3778fc.jpg

Served with cheddar and jack cheese, salt and pepper, green salsa.

But! You cannot eat the skins on these.

Try it on your toes. Post pictures of what you did.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    I don't know if you have any time restrictions but if you do, you might want to nuke all those spuds for a few minutes, throw them in a cooler, then finish on the EGG. When I do a steak I will often nuke a potato on 80% power for about 5-6 min, then it will finish on a hot EGG in 10min or so.
    Just an idea, don't know if it applies to your situation. B)