Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

salmon

Options
char buddy
char buddy Posts: 562
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just got some Copper River salmon steaks. Jamison ("Smoke and Spice") says put'em on the grill at 220 for an hour over alder chunks. [p]Anybody else got any ideas.[p]char buddy.

Comments

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Options
    char buddy,[p]That sounds about right. I just did a 1.5 pound filet on the small Egg - it was perfect after an hour at 220. Barely flaked with a fork, still very moist.[p]I marinated it in the fridge for a few hours first: a few tablespoons of sweet & hot mustard (you could achieve the same by mixing Dijon with a little honey), a tablespoon of soy sauce, juice of 1/4 lemon & a few tablespoons finely minced onion. This is based on a recipe in 'Sublime Smoke.'[p]Make sure you oil the grill first so the fish doesn't stick.[p]Alder is superb with salmon. [p]Cathy

• Unknown
    Options
    char buddy, Just curious how you in PA came to getting some WA Copper River Salmon...that fish must have been one powerful swimmer! ^oo^~

• char buddy
    Options
    one feral kat,[p]
    local supermarket - genuardi's - for the next week or two.[p]luck us, I guess. [p]char buddy

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    char buddy,[p]Are you looking to smoke them or grill them?[p]For smoked, check the posts over the past couple of weeks, maybe archived by now, I've posted some information on how I've been cooking (smoking) them lately.[p]Grilled, direct over a low fire with cherry sounds great. I've not used alder so no comment on that. KISS is the secret for salmon in my mind, keep it simple. A little salt and pepper, a little dill weed or baste it with a mixture of OJ and brown sugar during cooking. Yum.[p]Troy
  • Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    S11_21_9918_36_01.jpg
    <p />char buddy, check out the link for details, but...[p]I did 8 minutes per side at 350 (JJ's instructions [10 minutes per side per inch of thickness] - thanks JJ) - at the half way mark I merely popped another grid on top and rotated both. You'll also find the marinate recipe that I used.[p]
    [ul][li]Salmon Steak[/ul]
  • char buddy
    Options
    Cat,[p]Thanks for the tips. I went with low and slow - 220 grill level temp for about an hour. [p]I couldn't believe how good they came out. Moist - almost like a fish puddin' or mousse. This was also the first time I tried alder wood - great flavor.[p]I'm thinking of doing a salmon on cedar plank next - anybody got tips on that?