Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Favorite Soup?

2»

Comments

• Cream of Pablano Soup. Comforting and spicy at the same time! :P

Smokin'Stogies in Exton, Pa with my wife and our four dogs; Sully and Boo the Newfoundlands, Murphy the Irish Setter and Alli the Beagle/Lab mix. 

Eggers Prayer-

Our egg, which art in sizes, hallowed be thy smoke, thy will be grilled, at home as it is at eggfest. Give us this clay our daily brisket and forgive us our rubs, as we forgive those who gas grill against us, and lead us not to flashback but deliver us from overnighters. For thine is the grill, the smoke, the egg. Let's eat!

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    I love New England Clam Chowder.

Anyone have a great recipe they will share?
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Campbell's Chunky!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • KenHawk
    KenHawk Posts: 58
    I cook up a lot of Rancho Gordo beans...
    A little bacon fat, carrots celery & onions, throw in the beans and some stock, simmer for 3 or 4 hours...
    Last Saturday, I added a pork hock I had smoked the week before. By the time the beans were almost done, the hock was falling off the bone. I pulled it out, pulled off the meat, threw it back in, and put the soup into a dutch oven I set on the BGE. It smoked for about 45 minutes @250 by the time we were ready to eat.
    That was my last favorite soup.
  • She-Crab soup is to die for!
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    I'll get you one.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • DrZaius
    DrZaius Posts: 1,481
    My favs right now are Tortilla soup (my version), Taco soup (moms recipe), and vegetable soup. i usally cook about 20 quarts of each at a time and get them into the freezer for use throughout the winter.
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!
  • LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    roasted butternut squash

and good old fasion chicken noodle.(cooked some up yesterday with left over chicken from the bbq on sunday)
    context is important :)
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    i dont have a favorite, we just make soup from anything leftover, even leftover spagetti sauce with peppers onions sausages with milk or cream is good, better than any campbells tomato soup anyways. :laugh:

heres some

fishlessmans stew

100_1116.jpg

100_1119.jpg

campells wedding soup in a bread bowl, lot of work for campbells :laugh:

100_1153.jpg

100_1156.jpg

mediteranian lamb and apricot

100_1224.jpg

some lobster bisque in a bread bowl, i like this half bisque half stew with some lobster chunks best

286fa7ca.jpg

by the texas rules this would be lobster and bean chili soup

DSC_0288.jpg

some sausage stew, this ones my ice fishing stew, cheap and feeds a crowd.

DSC_0278.jpg

my favorite was my nana's kale soup, simmer a pork bone, add some thin sliced chourico and linguica and some yelloweye beans, later add some carrots and onions, finish with kale. light and brothey, yum
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Favorite soup? Easy. Sopa Azteca, hands down.
    sopa.jpg

But if you're including stews, gumbos, chilis...oh man, I can't pick one favorite, there. But I'll throw a couple out there that haven't been mentioned, yet...Portuguese Pork Alentejana, and South African (but Portuguese influenced) Trinchado.
  • I've been wanting to try kale soup. Portuguese food is from God, I'm convinced. I have two kale plants in the garden, and the weather is just about right...going to have to consider this very soon.
  • Just made potato soup last night. Always a big hit, and super easy. Here's our family's recipe.

4 cups Frozen hash brown potatoes (this works out to one 30 ounce bag)
    2/3 cup butter or margarine
    2/3 cup all-purpose flour
    6 cups milk
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon pepper
    4 green onions -- chopped and divided
    12 slices bacon -- cooked, crumbled and divided
    1 1/4 cups shredded cheddar cheese -- divided
    8 ounces sour cream
    Cook frozen potatoes in microwave on high power until tender (about 8 to 10 minutes).
    Cook bacon in a large heavy pot until crisp, remove. Pour off grease. In same pot melt butter over low heat, add flour, stirring until smooth. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add milk; cook over medium heat, sitrring constantly until mixture is thickened and bubbly.
    Add potatoes, salt, pepper, 2 tablespoons green onions, 1/2 bacon crumbs, and 1 cup of cheese. Cook until thoroughly heated, and stir in sour cream. Add extra milk, if necessary, for desired consistency.
    Serve with remaining green onions, bacon, and cheese to be sprinkled on top of soup as desired.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Ben,

It is really good and better when made on the egg. Need real Chaurice though.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    LOL - well, let's just take a look at my freezer door!
    IMG_1717.jpg

It would appear ham and bean soup, followed by chili, creamy vegetable and lastly clear turkey soup which is a real delicacy reserved for special occasions!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Little Steven
    Ron,

Is the turkey soup a consomme?

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    yes, it is. BTW here's what I said and posted back in 2006 about it:
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=55&func=view&catid=1&id=198359
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Mexican Lime soup.
    DSC_0011-1.jpg
  • Well, I did just get Ruhlman's book, so...step 1: make chaurice.
  • Little Steven
    You should be able to buy it. It is spelled differently in the US. Fishlessman knows. Chourizo? I just got Charcouterie myself

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Paco
    Paco Posts: 27
    There's a place in Murrells Inlet SC (just south of Myrtle Beach) that has the absolute best She Crab soup I've ever tasted. It's a little pink place that I believe is called 'The Crab House'. Certainly nothing to look at on the outside, but definitly worth the stop. (The Lobster Bisque is a close second)
  • Oh, I'm sure I could find it online, but I'm really excited to try making it. That was a big impetus for wanting the book. We can get mexican chorizo at every grocery around here (and really good stuff from the local mercados) but can't find hard Spanish chorizo or Portuguese chaurice (however you spell it), or linguica anywhere. I've got plans for that stuff, once I make it...paella ranks high on the list.

Same thing with andouille...hard to find up here.
  • Little Steven
    Ben,

Andouille and boudin are my first two

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    chourico, silent o, sounds like show-reese. johnsonville makes a chorizzo that tastes more like the portuguese version, its a little soft for a soup but you could skin it and make little meatballs. the taste is there but the big chunks of fat and meat are ground up like a bratt so it loses the chourico texture, i think it would work fine if you can find it. we have a supermarket version made by gaspars, not as good as fresh but lasts forever in the meat drawer in the frigerator, easily 6 to 8 months. look near the keilbasi, it might be there
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Good stuff folks, thanks!
  • Have to say that I love a good bowl of chilli. As far as soup is concerned I'm torn between a good potato soup and recently discovered Tortilla soup :P