Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lump in Seattle

Options
'Q Bruddah
'Q Bruddah Posts: 739
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Did I miss a quiet harbinger of Fall, when the lump disappears from the shelf? I went to the local Wally World and they were clean out. Any ideas for here in Seattle where to get that precious winter lump?

Comments

• Gator Bait
    Options

Hey 'Q

I have no help but was looking at the map and thinking if I lived that close to the border I would be looking for Maple Leaf Charcoal. It's not sold here in the states but it has as good a reputation (if not better) as any brand out there. I found this link to a page that has an email contact for them. http://www.cedargrilling.com/mapleleaf.htm and the Naked Whiz on his site lists (418) 329-2977 as their phone number. I would contact them and ask where the closest place is where you can get it. In the past I have called Royal Oak at (678) 461-3200 and have asked them the same thing. They were very friendly and glad to help, after all they want to sell their product to you. I also just opened my first bag of Frontier Charcoal which I am pretty sure came from an ACE Hardware Store for a good price. I like it so far and thought it was easily good enough to buy again. HERE it is on their web site for $11.99 for 20# with free shipping to their store. Good deal!

P.S. I just found on the Frontier site a link to a rebate of $5 on their 10 or 20# bags. Now we are down to $7 for 20#. If you collect Ace Hardware reward points and have enough saved up you can knock another $5 off and get 20# for about $2 plus tax and if they don't have it in stock have it delivered to your store with no shipping charge. That's hard to beat! :cheer:

Good luck.

Blair

• 'Q Bruddah
    Options
    Blair,
    Thanks for the newsy reply. Turns out I just missed the pallet at Walmart. I called and the Garden Manager was helpful and said it was in an area that I apparently didn't look in.
  • Papa bear
    Options
    I get mine 2 different ways.

1) I go the to teh eggfest in late spring early summer and buy up at least 10 bags. THis will usually last most of a year.

2) I think the stores name is Hearth and home in Woodinville on thewoodinville Redmond road. They are next to the Texas Smoke Housew BBQ. THey have BGE and Wicked Good ( the better of the 2). They are now also carrying Dizzy Pig rubs and they have a pretty good selection of smoke wood chips and chunks.

Mike B)
  • Seattle Todd
    Options
    There's nothing THAT close to Mountlake Terrace that I'm aware of but there are a few (that'll be more pricey than Walmart probably don't shop there myself for more than the 'usual reasons' people don't. :laugh:

Depending upon where your journey's around the puget sound take you most of the Fireplace and Hearth stores carry BGE's and lump Sutter Home and Hearth (as previously mentioned) in Woodinville and Ballard, Fireside in Bellevue, and Thompson's in Issaquah. Of them all Thompson's deals ONLY in BGE and carries BBQ Guru's, etc. w/o having to mail order.

There's a place up north of Everett too but can't remember the name.

Central Market in Mill Creek also carries the 'emergency' lumps I use if I'm too lazy to drive farther than 10 minutes from home. Chef's Choice and Lazarri. Both are mesquite IIRC but don't spark as bad as many mesquite brands. Of the two I prefer Chef's Choice.

Good luck!
  • Scott in Seattle
    Options
    Besides Sutter's in Woodinville, Conklin Appliance in Lynnwood, carries both BGE and Wicked Good AND both stores have started stocking Dizzy Pig.
    I stopped by Conkiln's last weekend; they didn't have any Wicked on the show room floor and while I was waiting they sent someone to the warehouse for it -- good folks, same at Sutter's.
    Rich's Patio in Lynnwood has also started keeping a great stock of BGE stuff, although I think they tend to be a dollar or two higher.
    Finding lump or other BGE 'stuff' ought not to be a problem for ya in the Seattle area, like it was a few years ago.
    scott
  • Gadfly
    Gadfly Posts: 121
    Options
    I created a thread with a similar title a couple of month ago and posted everything I knew.

Walmart carries RO. Around $7 for 10# bag. My first choice. YOu should look in Home and garden section. I wonder if they carry them year long. I've bought a "few" bags extra just in case they don't.

Cash and Carry carries Lazarri (sp?). 40# for $14! oversized chunks.

Ace and Lowes carry Frontier. Lowes is cheaper.
    Home Depot carries Cowboy

Yes, Sutter Home and Hearth carries BGE and WW. I bought a WW bug to sample but at $22 for a 20# bag I am not sure that would be my first choice.
  • 'Q Bruddah
    Options
    Hey Mike,
    Thanks for the reply. I am familiar with Sutter Home and Hearth in Woodinville. I agree nice folks. A nice drive there in the Valley, too.
  • 'Q Bruddah
    Options
    Todd,
    This has turned into a very beneficial thread. Getting to meet some local folks and find new sources and new lump choices.

I can get Lazarri at Cash and Carry in Lynnwood but I wouldn't mind trying Chef's Choice.

As I said earlier I will be making the trip to Walmart and will no doubt "stock up" on a few extra bags.

Costco Business in Lynnwood has bone-in shoulders again. Can't beat the price or convenience.

Looks like a little pulled pork for the weekend.
  • 'Q Bruddah
    Options
    Scott,
    I take some credit for Conklin's carrying DP. I "turned them in" to Chris and staff around Eggfest time.

I like to have a base of Royal Oak red bag at Walmart price and then add specialty lump a bag at a time. I am all about saving money in lump. Especially since my palate is not well enough developed to really discern large differences.
  • 'Q Bruddah
    Options
    Gadfly,
    Seems we travel in similar circles. Rich's Wood Stoves and Spas carries BGE and Wicked. But as mentioned probably for a few more nickels.

As I commented above, it was good to get the local team out and hear from them. Always nice to know you're not the only "fool" gonna smoke all winter long regardless of the weather.

I need to start researching that Thanksgiving Turkey thread from Mad Max. Maybe do a ham for Christmas. Is it REALLY October?
  • Gadfly
    Gadfly Posts: 121
    Options
    LOL
    if you're a Microsft employee send me a PM.