Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

COOKING ALERT IRON CHEF BGE

2»

Comments

• Baby j
    Baby j Posts: 148
    Sorry, "say" Big Green Egg.
  • odd premise for a show. i didn't see it, but from the comments it seems as if the threw folks a curve ball by making them cook on a ceramic (BGE) grill, with all its attendant nuances.

then, they ignored the cooker entirely by not explaining what might be part of the learning curve, or what might be a bonus about using it.

this tended to make the chefs look a little more inept than usual, did nothing to promote the BGE, and probably confused the viewers.

imagine a show using a pressure cooker. they'd talk about it, explain it, and make it clear why they were tossing the chefs a curve by making them use one. ...and at the very least, most viewers would maybe know what a pressure cooker was to begin with.

and you gotta know the BGE folks were involved and probably comped the eggs.

sounded like a fest. and not in a good way.
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    i enjoyed seeing the egg being used. i do think there was some tv magic as well. those grills were not lit and you couldn't pull off that stuff in an hour with a cold egg. a couple guys couldn't get theirs lit and another guy had an inferno.

still thought it was good to see the egg even if it wasn't called a BGE. they could have used any other cooker, but they didn't.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    I personally don't care for these "competition" type shows in the first place, and I think Alton Brown is a total ass [just say what you think Frank], but I watched this segment start to finish and the kindest thing I can say about it was that it was very poorly produced! :sick: :huh:
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    I went to the Food Network site and looked at all the material they had about that first episode. The dishes they preapred were works of art but they really didn't appear to know much about the BGE. One hour from a cold EGG is almost impossible. I wonder if anyone knew enough to know exactly how much cooking time they would have. It's sort of ironic that Chef Tsai won the competition. Maybe he had some idea about cooking on a kamado-style grill whether it's clay or ceramic.
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    Wise One wrote:
    I went to the Food Network site and looked at all the material they had about that first episode. The dishes they preapred were works of art but they really didn't appear to know much about the BGE. One hour from a cold EGG is almost impossible. I wonder if anyone knew enough to know exactly how much cooking time they would have. It's sort of ironic that Chef Tsai won the competition. Maybe he had some idea about cooking on a kamado-style grill whether it's clay or ceramic.

no way those dishes were prepared in sixty minutes from a cold egg.... and the eggs were NOT smoking when they walked up on the beach.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    And remember, those EGGs were XLs! You don't heat those puppys and finish a hot dog in an hour! Well, maybe a small hot dog! :P :laugh: :blush:B)
    My original comment stands, "A very poor production".
    I am surprised BGE does not excersise more control over this type of thing! :( My mind keeps going back to "cooking vessel! :angry: