Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

your favorite wings

Options
Hungry Celeste
Hungry Celeste Posts: 534
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What's your favorite way to cook wings on the Egg? I wanna hear about it.

Comments

• LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    Options
    I really like them cooked indirect at 375-400*. Little Steven suggested sneaking some corn starch in there to crisp them up... works really well.

I usually toss them with a basic rub that I throw together.(paprika, onion, garlic, oregano, thyme, salt, pepper, on occasion brown sugar) and of course corn starch
    context is important :)
  • BigA
    BigA Posts: 1,157
    Options
    i cook them anyway Fidel suggest's!!
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Rub - Sucklebusters Hoochie Mama

Smoke - sugar cane

Indirect at 350-400 till done

Sauce - Neaux sauce

IMG_2972800x600.jpg

IMG_2977800x600.jpg
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    lately its been wiseones georgia red wings cooked and dipped in a simple buffalo sauce of redhot, butter, tobasco, and chipotle, then a few more minutes on the grill. i like wings cooked raised direct at about 325 to 350. still playing with the recipe amounts but they are really flavorful. i like wings on the verge of being overcooked. would like to find a good cajun style marinade for the wings

010.jpg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    Options
    hard to say there is a favorite, wings are just good off the egg, heres some low and slowed with some dizzy rub

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=491362&catid=1
    fukahwee maine

• Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    I cook mine as high in the dome as I can get them, coated with a little Dizzy Dust and some Raging River, no sauce
    4787976984_0c4fcfff12.jpgP6270008 by Capt Frank1, on Flickr
  • Hungry Celeste
    Options
    Good thought on the cornstarch. Think I'm gonna celebrate today's excellent weather by cooking some thai-inspired wings. A dusting of cornstarch along with a dry satay seasoning should do the trick.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Hungry Celeste,

It is almost impossible to avoid getting the starch too thick in places. Spray those with a little oil partway through the cook.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    Ooph, I don't think I can pick a favorite; we eat a lot of wings. I can't even pick a cooking method as a favorite...if we have a lot of wings to cook, or plenty of time to do so, I do indirect, 400 degrees, about an hour. If wings were a last-minute decision, I do 400 degrees, raised direct, about 30 minutes.

Our go-to quick 'n easy wings are t-rex inspired: a dash of tabasco, and a heavy sprinkling of lemon pepper.

Other favorites are the awesome marmalade-sriracha wings, jerk wings, the list goes on and on.
  • Memphistide
    Options
    SWAMP VENOM OVER NIGHT...350 FOR 45 MIN...500 FOR THE LAST 5 MIN SERVE

346t5c8.jpg
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    Options
    direct, raised grid, 350-375 degrees....

57d4a8ba.jpg

ef8130f1.jpg

0b2bb920.jpg
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Options
    This recipe from Alton Brown. Substitute "Egg" for "oven" and they come out perfect.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/good-eats/buffalo-wings-recipe/index.html
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    I'm a big fan of Georgia Red Wings, but marinaded for 72 hours and then hit with some DP Swamp Venom.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • luckyguy
    Options
    Greaat looking wings. I like my wings just like that. Do you mind giving your exact sauce receipe?
  • Fornia
    Fornia Posts: 451
    Options
    I'm with some others as I like 375-400 indirect, and we like our wings quite well done, meat easily pulls clean from bone, so they're on for an hour/a few beers. Of course this is also due to the fact that we like skin as crispy as possible. Sometimes, the skin will actually make a 'snap' sound when eaten...and it's super thin. I've not had deep fried wings since I bought my Egg in May.

Recently brined three batches of wings. Using a real simple brine from Adam Perry Lang's BBQ 25. Not gonna debate if brining wings is effective, but I will say that I've had taste testers in these 3 cooks with brined wings. They've all said they can tell a difference. I'm brining from here on out if time allows.

I've been using Fred's Signore Bernardo Poultry Blend to season. We think its the very best we've tried so far and just can't stop using it on all our poultry. I'm sure its great on anything.

IMG_1596.jpg
    IMG_1600.jpg
    Here is a cornstarch method for wings that was introduced to me right after getting my Egg. You do need to scroll down a bit to see the post with recipe.
    It's also very good!
    http://olddavespo-farm.blogspot.com/search/label/Hot%20Wings
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    Options
    Forgot to say... My wings usually go 2.5 hours. I use sea salt, dp dizzy dust, a pecan rub & turbinado sugar.
  • Kokeman
    Kokeman Posts: 822
    Options
    I made some tonight. I saw this a couple months ago on here and we love it. We liked it so much the kids and I cooked them at the Springfield eggfest a couple weeks ago.
    Mix 2/3 of bad byrons butt rub and 1/3 turbinado sugar. Cook raised direct 350-400 for 30-45 minutes. Sometimes I throw in a little cherry or apple wood. Finish off with some sweet baby rays.
  • EggSimon
    EggSimon Posts: 422
    Options
    Rinse the wings well and pat dry with a paper towel. Let the wings rest on a grid in the fride for at least 6 hours, to be sure, that they are dry.

Remove the wings from the fride and place it in a bowl. Add EVOO to the bowl and cover the wings well, turn and flip the winge in the EVOO bath for a few times.

Add your favorit chicken rub. I love TexasBBQrub for chicken. Sucklebusters Hoochie Mama is also great. Or DP Jamaicen Firewalk.

Prepare your egg for a indirect cook. PS, Stone or whatever. Cook @ 350 - 400 F for 40 minutes. Goal is a crispy skin. Ya can see it, if they are crisp.

I love my wings dry. But it´s also possible to cover it with a sauce. Sucklebusters BBQ sauce is great. Or a Texas pepper jelly. Cherry habanero is also fine.

here a dry one:

DSCF0063-5.jpg

and a sauced one:

DSCF0055-6.jpg
  • fishlessman
    Options
    half bottle franks redhot, half stick butter, maybe half tsp tobasco, then a 1/4 tsp chipotle powder. its hot enough that you need the blue cheese dressing
    fukahwee maine

• johnl350
    johnl350 Posts: 125
    Options
    I marinate my wings in Italian Dressing for an hour or so before cooking them. Then I coat with Southern Flavor Cajun Seasoning http://www.southernflavor.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=17&Itemid=51. Cook direct around 400 degrees for around 20 or 30 mins depending on how done i want them, but the last 5 mins i baste them with Crystal buffalo wing sauce. These wings will have your tounge beating your eyebrows off of your head trying to get to them they are so good!!
  • fishlessman
    Options
    thanks, i need to look into getting some of that spice, there is anything cajun in the spice racks up here
    fukahwee maine