Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rule of thumb for rubs

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Any guidelines for the shelf life of rubs? Seems like by the time I get through mixing a teaspoon of this, that and the other that I've got so little end product. Can most rubs be "super-sized" so they can be done in a blender - hence some quantity vs a little shaker? Any break down in the spices or spoilage to be of concern? Thanks in advance for your "sage" eggvice! ^oo^~

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    one feral kat, from my kitchen to yours, when ever I make up my rubs, I make what might last a month to 6 weeks and then put it in a tightly sealed container in the fridge. If you have a "FoodSaver" and the proper containers, they should work great in preservation of your rubs. I haven't used it that way so far as I don't have the containers..I suppose vacuum sealing in fruit jars would work also.
    Just ideas floating right now..hang loose you will get plenty of advice..
    Char-Woody[p]

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    one feral kat,
    The rule of thumb is “Fresh is Best”. If you could buy the spices from a reliable fresh source only in the amount that you need, mix the rub and use it immediately it would be ideal. This is actually one of the secrets of Indian Cooking.[p]That being said we can get back to reality. After about three to six months of storing an herb or spice, the qualities are decreased by oxidation. I have stored and used spices that I have had for many years and they work out fine. I normally mix up rubs in the amount that I intend to use over the couple of months. When I run out of one particular type, I try to use up the others before I mix up a new one. Eventually, you can get on a rotating schedule of making the rubs that you like. That way your chances of using a fresh rub are greater.[p]One of the biggest things that you can do to improve the flavors of rubs is to stay out of the Spice Isle at your local grocery store. The isle basically contains overpriced containers of old herbs and spices in the absolute wrong quantities. My preference is to purchase from a local bulk spice vendor. I know that they have reliable stock and I can purchase the amount that I need at a fair price. The next would be to order spices from a place like Penzey’s. The idea is similar.[p]Hope this Helps,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• Mary
    Mary Posts: 190
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    dried Herbs and spices keep best in cool, dry and dark places. A mix (i.e., a rub) will probably keep as well as individual spices unless it is moist. Vacuum sealed can only help. some keep better than others. Whole seeds or big pieces of leaf keep much better than ground anything. But that said, fresh is best. some are just not worth using unless it is fresh - ginger, cilantro, chervil, parsely for example.[p]Mary

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Mary, Your da gal....Thanks!! Me thinks I got a view of Mary in the Fest2000 pics??
    C~W[p]