Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

MAD MAX'ERS - QUIT PANICING!!!!

mad max beyond eggdome
mad max beyond eggdome Posts: 8,134
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
everybody. ..looks like a lot of you are in panic mode. . .stop it!![p]if you have a 20+ pound turkey in your egg indirect at 325, trust me, it ain't gonna be done for hours. . . mines been in for 3 1/2 hours now, cruisin along. ..been basting it every 20 - 30 minutes or so , just tented it loosely with aluminum foil for the next couple of hours to control browning. . .if your pan is dry, you an add some broth or wine (or both) to keep it wet. ...[p]forget your fancy polders and other guages. . .that bird won't be done till the juices run clear and the drumstick moves freely on its joint. . ..[p]SO STOP WORRYING!! AND IF YOU ARE UNSURE OR NEED HELP, OR A LITTLE COMFORT, FEEL FREE TO GIVE ME A SHOUT AT 703-517-3791[p]you can relax
with mad max!!![p]happy t-day

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome,
    Hey MAD MAX, do you approve that message?[p]Jerry

• JimE
    JimE Posts: 158
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    I just sent you an email with a couple ?'s...I am v-racking the bird...honey brine....anything for the inside of the cavity? Also, in the drip pan any suggestions? I was thinking of putting some onion and maybe an orange inside the cavity of the bird and water in the drip pan..I figure the drippings from the bird will flavor it. I also usually baste with vermouth and broth from the giblets...am I on the right track?
    jim

• Crab leg
    Crab leg Posts: 291
    Jim ,
    Where do you live? I feel that a trip by your house to taste test your bird is imperative for your family's safety(and more importantly my taste buds). Sounds like a great bird you are going to prepare there. Happy turkey day to you and all. I know that I have many things to be thankful for, and one of them is kicking me off of the computer as I type.
    Seth

• Jim ,
    yep, all those things work. .. i stuff mine with herbs, an onion an apple and a lemon (all quartered). .. .douse it good with about 1/2 a bottle of white wine. . .then cover the bird with 2 sticks of soften butter mixed with herbs. .. .creates plenty of basting liquid drippings. ..

• JimE
    JimE Posts: 158
    Crab leg,
    I am in Southern Cali...by Magic Mountain. Come on by!
    I am still soliciting input for the drip pan and cavity though!

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    ". .if your pan is dry, you can add some broth or wine (or both) to keep it wet. ..."

Max, I'd add the addendum, "...unless you're using a Pyrex dish as your base pan. Heat the broth/wine and pour over bird, not direct in the pan....."
    Don't ask me why I know this; the memory is too painful to recall.
    Qfan

• mad max beyond eggdome,[p]I just put my little 7 1/2 lb breast on a few minutes ago. I got about an hour or 1 1/2 before dialing.[p]CWM