Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kahawai Pie

Tank_NZ
Tank_NZ Posts: 53
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The horrid winter is finishing here - so Im getting a chance to use the BGE for the first real time (they only have a few of the here in New Zealand).

So I thought I would try a smoked Kahawai (fish) pie.

I didnt smoke the fish - but started with a already smoked one (Will try smoking in the egg next time).

Its a easy to catch fish - we can normally get them off the shore at the end of our street:

396-1.jpg

Its a Kahawai (Sea Salmon) (Not me in the pic) - but hey - its about the fish:

kahawai_ngapuhi.jpg

Anyway - it turned out great 400F / indirect about 35 mins:

IMG_6066.JPG

IMG_6067.JPG

IMG_6069.JPG

The "T" is for Tanky. That way the wife cant take credit ! B)

Anyway - I'm very happy. Thanks to all on here for the inspiration to try something other than sausages on the BBQ.

Tank the Kiwi.

Comments

• Rick G
    Rick G Posts: 185
    Wow That looks great.....whats in the filling??
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Hey Tank. Great post but, the pic's were all upside down :woohoo: I guess it's from you being on the other side of the world. Wish I was there to visit. Great looking pie. Thanks, Tim :)
  • Metalhead
    Metalhead Posts: 668
    lol.....does she often try to steal credit for your cooks?

looks good.
  • thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    That looks fantastic. Fishing at the end of the street..life can be hell. :laugh:
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Tank, that looks very good :) Please post the recipe.
    Jupiter Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    That is a beautiful dish!! Nice job!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Tank very cool ;)
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Eggsakley
    Eggsakley Posts: 1,019
    Looks delicious. Whis I had access to fresh fish like that. You are a lucky man indeed. What wood will you use to smoke the fish next time. I use alder usually, but that is a North American wood as far as I know. :)
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    I think we need to see a recipe here. :laugh: I wanna try that too! :P
  • Tank_NZ
    Tank_NZ Posts: 53
    Thanks for the complements.

Actually it was pretty easy - For the crust - there is a recipe in the BGE cookbook that is pretty nice.

For the filling - I used one smoked Kahawai - although any 'not greasy' white fish would do - Kingfish, Snapper etc etc - Depends on what we catch I guess.

I made a reasonable think white sauce: http://southernfood.about.com/cs/saucerecipes/ht/white_sauceht.htm

If its too 'sloppy' it will run everywhere.

Cooked off some leeks, and red onion in butter - just a little to get them slightly cooked. Added carrots, broccoli (small pieces) and small dices of a few small potatoes I had left over in the fridge from the night before.

layered pie - vegs, smoked fish, sauce, loads crated tasty cheese, repeated - add top.

Indirect @ 400 or 200 for the metric thinkers.

Remove and sere with a nice glass of Kiwi Sauvignon blanc.

Enjoy.
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Kiwi Tank, nice cook! :) Must be nice to go to the end of your street and see that view and catch fish! We'll look forward to your spring cooks.