Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Coconut Charcoal... anyone try it?

Jolly Bill Barker
Jolly Bill Barker Posts: 119
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am really interested in trying the coconut charcoal that is for sale by A fire. Has anyone on here tried it? I would like to know if it is easy to start and if it has a good flavor to it. I think that if it works it could be a great product. You don't have to kill a tree to have good fire.

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    I bought several boxes from the kamado distributor in Atlanta in '04 and am still trying to get rid of it. That which I bought is extruded and burns with a very fine white ash that settles on all the food. After a few cooks I just toss in a couple of pieces on rib cooks to get rid of it. Not sure if that white ash problem is true of all coconut charcoal of just the batch I bought.
  • rzrrob
    rzrrob Posts: 162
    Richard

Did add flavor
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    If you like the look of white ash on your meat, not too gritty.
  • Not all coconut charcoal does that. My friend uses some coconut charcoal (forgot manufacturer) and it is some really good stuff (last a long time, smells awesome, little ash). Problem is it is really expensive. The Kamado company is ran by a thief (I looked at his product before buying the Egg--heck there is a message board dedicated to this guy/company highlighting how he rips people off) so the lump you bought is junk (that particular brand only--not coconut lump in general). Naked Whiz did a great job discussing this(Kamado company) on his lump reviews.
  • I reviewed it on the Lump Charcoal Database. I gave it a not recommended because they appear to be deliberately selling underweight boxes. I contacted them about it and their response was to take a spacer out of a box so that more charcoal would fit into the box. They made no mention of whether or not the spacer should have been there to begin with. I was left with the impression that they are selling the boxes underweight and just thought I wouldn't notice that the second box they sent didn't have the spacer.

I'll also note that the box I bought from Amazon was underweight and all the boxes checked at another retail source were also underweight.

As for the charcoal itself, you can read the review, but you would be better off using Wicked Good Charcoal briquettes. They are less expensive and perform better.
    The Naked Whiz
  • To my knowledge, all the coconut charcoals I've tried (and a few lump charcoals) have the fine white ash that coats the inside of the cooker.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Thanks everyone. Sounds like it isn't quite there yet. I will just stick with regular old lump.
  • TNW, I am new on the forum, but not new as a lurker or egger, and I have to say, You are THEE Lump MAN! I see lump in a new market, and before I buy, I check your database. I have yet to find a lump you have not evaluated. Your reviews are always right on! Thanks for all the extra work you do to help us find decent lump! The forum should have a super link to your lump site. Thanks again.