Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Spreading the love this Valentine’s Day with your EGG? Virginia Willis’ three course menu is perfect for a date night! February is also National Chocolate Lover’s Month, so don’t feel guilty if you’ve been cooking a little more dessert than usual on your EGG. If you’re looking for something a little more savory than chocolate, try some Roasted Chicken Flatbread or Pork Tenderloin with Honey Mustard.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and the Culinary Center too!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Turkey: breast side up or down?

edited 11:29AM in EggHead Forum
First year cooking the turkey on the bge and my first post. What a day! Anyway, can anyone tell me if the breast should be up or down in the v rack?

Comments

• mollysharkmollyshark Posts: 1,519
    SashaV,[p]Up, up and away. Cooking it down is going to dry them out fast and you don't want that.[p]mShark
  • SashaV,
    I always do mine down. The juices from the top drop into the cavity and then into the breast. Very moist. I do mine over a platesetter and drip pan @ 350.

• BoccieBoccie Posts: 186
    SashaV,[p]I remember last year there was a big discussion on this. Some folks swear by the breast down, others breast up.[p]If you do it breast down be sure to have a good heat barrier under your pan as not to overcook the breast and dry it out.[p]We just stick to breast up, baste periodically. Always turns out fine.[p]Boccie
  • yaByaB Posts: 137
    SashaV,
    I was just reading in a cookbook that James Beard's method was to start with the turkey breast down, then ¼ of the way through the planned cooking time, turn the bird onto one side, then at the half-way point turn the bird onto its other side, then ¾ of the way through turn it breast up and finish the cook off that way. [p]Sounds reasonable, although I read this too late to put it into practice for today. Maybe next turkey. And I'm thinking that for digital thermometer users and/or Guru users, wire management could get to be a problem... [p]Bob