Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eastern NC BBQ

luckyguy
luckyguy Posts: 20
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does anyone have the receipes for the BBQ Beef made in Eastern NC like at Wilber's BBQ or McCall's BBQ in Goldsboro, NC?

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Traditional eastern NC Q is pork, not beef. I was not aware that Wilber's sold beef BBQ, though I suppose it's possible. It's not on their online menu either. Or McCall's. Did you mean pork?

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    BEEF!!! Eastern NC BBQ is Pork...

To do BBQ like Wilber's and McCall's you need a gas cooker.. :woohoo:

Now if'n you want better, I might be able to help :woohoo:
  • I want better if you have it!!! As far as pork I have watched my uncles and great uncles cook whole hogs for years. Just looking for something different especially for company that doesn't eat pork. Waiting for the great receipe Celtic Wolf! Thanks!
  • Both Wiber's and McCall's only serve the beef on Thursdays. If you have the pork receipe I will gladly take it!! Thanks
  • Carolina Q
    Hey, Pete, do you know when Wilber's went to gas? Last time I was there (prob'ly been 10 years), I recall them having a rather large pile of wood out back. Smelled real good too!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Here's what I do for pork. It's more or less what was in the cookbook that came with my Weber kettle years ago. Be interesting to see how close mine is to Pete's. If at all. :lol:

Rub...

1 tablespoon salt
    1 tablespoon sugar
    1 tablespoon brown sugar
    1 tablespoon ground cumin
    1 tablespoon chili powder
    1 tablespoon cracked black pepper
    1 tablespoon paprika
    1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

I rub it on pretty thick. Nice bark - very tasty.

Vinegar Sauce...

1 ½ cups white vinegar
    1 ½ cups apple cider vinegar
    1 ½ tbls sugar
    1 ½ tbls red pepper flakes
    1 ½ tbls bottled hot pepper sauce
    Salt and pepper to taste
    Optional - cayenne pepper to taste

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Oh it is so good to see you are back to your usual self Pete. Hope all is well.
  • For me I like Kings BBQ or even more quaint and down to back yard style go to the crossroads in Jason, NC and pick up some real BBQ! Ole man has been cooking for many moons and if you are looking for comfort eat in the front seat of your car! All he has is picnic tables! I just pulled a 6 pound Boston Butt and it is cooling in the cooler as we speak! Got a fresh bottle of Wells Eastern NC sauce and waiting for kick off of the ECU/Carolina game! Go Pirates!!!!!
  • Carolina Q
    Welcome, Scott! When were you in Greenville? Are you a townie or did you go to EC? Or both, I suppose. :)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Do you mix the vinegar sauce in with all the butt after you pull it, or is that something you leave to the individual eating it? Thanks
  • Carolina Q
    I mix it in AND put a bottle on the table for anyone who wants more. Now that you mention it, I don't recall that subject being discussed her - though I'm sure it must have been.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Thanks for the help. Im doing my 1st butt on my large BGE and wasnt sure if the pork was better served plain after pulling? I have seen some folks mix it all with a vinegar type mixture before.
  • CBBQ
    CBBQ Posts: 610
    I don't sauce until right before I serve it because I think the vinegar sauce can act like a marinade. I prefer to taste the meat with sauce as opposed to sauce flavored meat. Now around here I mix the vinegar sauce with a hickory bbq sauce because people have to see the sauce.
  • What cut/weight do you use?
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: EGGZACTLY what I thought.BEEF ain't BBQ! ;)It may be on the OTHER side of that Big Muddy Creek,but not HERE! :)
  • Ah the lil spot in Jason. I'm from a little community down the road from Jason called Parkstown. I have been to the spot in Jason, but figured no one on here knew about Jason. :laugh:
  • Forgot Scott. GO TARHEELS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • I like to have a lil mixed in and have it on the side for those who want more. What do you use in your vinegar sauce?
  • You gotta try it before you knock it! :) BBQ is just low and slow
  • Hoss
    I've had it.It ain't bad,just not Q to me. ;)
  • I'm a new Eggy. How do you prepare your butt?
  • Hoss
    I rub it down with seasoning of choice,put on the Egg at 250 dome(indirect,with drip pan) and cook til it hits an internal temp of 195-200,pull it off,let it rest 15-30 mins or so,jut to let it cool a little and pull/shresd ,mixing the bark into the meat.I usually sprinkle a little more rub on it when I pull it,then serve with sauce on the side so everyone can add as much or little as they want.I prefer a vinegar based sauce like BH TN Red.I usually serve 3 or more different sauces because EVERYONE has different taste preferences. ;) Good Luck.BTW,Just messin with ya about the beef,I've had some tastee beef Q ,I just prefer pork.I REALLY prefer Whole Hog 1st,Whole Shoulder 2nd,Picnic shoulder 3rd and Boston Butt 4th.Sometimes if I can't get a Whole Shoulder I'll get a Boston Butt and a Picnic shoulder,cook em both and MIX!YUMMEE!!!That is just my way.There are literally hundreds of ways that are ALL great! ;)
  • Thanks Hoss! My mouth is watering. That is the only bad thing about this forum. You only think about eating.
  • What is BH TN Red?
  • Carolina Q
    Blues Hog Tennessee Red.

Doesn't matter though. The folks in eastern NC would never be caught dead eating anything other than a vinegar sauce. Red stuff is for anywhere BUT eastern NC.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut