Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Premium Bourbon

2»

Comments

• elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    The smoothest whiskey I ever tasted was home brew....and moderation was the key! :laugh: Everybody deserves a little wild and crazy now and again... ;)
  • elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    I used to sip a little Gentleman Jack now and then. A few years back I developed a taste for vodka. Love 3 Olives (affectionately now known as the Olive triplets among my closest friends). ;) On "girls night" we chill a bottle in the freezer and serve straight up with a twist of.........orange! We like to think we are discerning. :laugh:
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    :woohoo: :whistle: :blink: Ain't dat da TRUTH!
  • My wife nearly gags on any kind of store bought whiskey regardless of the price. However, she loves moonshine straight out of the mason jar.
    As far as homebrew, in my 31 year career as an administrator in a maximum security penitentiary, I saw some really nasty stuff.
  • JohnB
    JohnB Posts: 183
    I would suggest Bakers. That's my current favorite. I've never tried Pappy Van Winkles because its always gone at my local liquor store. Old Rip is good, but I prefer Bakers.
  • As a Kentuckian, I have to speak up. Jack ain't bourbon.
  • Speaking of vodka, if you enjoy it with tonic, the new premium (expensive) tonics make all the difference in the world. Either Q or Fevertree are well worth the $2.00/ 6.5 oz. price.
  • Hoss
    Give Tito's a try. ;) Good as Goose,WAY cheaper. :)
  • Hey Hoss,
    Ditto on the Tito's....good stuff.
  • Hoss
    My local Beverage Store turned me on to it about 2 years ago. ;) Maybe we should'nt tell people.They start buying it and it will go up in price! :laugh:
  • What, no love for Blantons? Sipping it neat right now, and it tastes plenty fine!
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Well I gotta jump in on this one even if a bit late. Since you did ask about bourbons, just need a small clarification. There are as many bourbons out there as opinions, and that's because everyone has different tastes. Believe it or not, price is usually a good indicator. These guys been doing this a long time and folks been drinking bourbon a long time, so they know when they taste a rip off. Maker's Mark is an excellent everyday bourbon and in many cases a good special occassion bourbon (I too am an ambassador w/one of the barrels w/my name on it somewhere). IMHO once you go above WR, you really need to look at investing $100+/750ml to notice the difference. In between, the differences are so subtle, just not sure it's worth the bux. Some good examples of these would be somewhere between and including Woodford Reserve Master's Collection, and Pappy Van Winkle's 23 Year Family Reserve. But the good thing is, there are plenty of types to try and lotsa fun tryin 'em! ;) :woohoo:

Note: Any Jack Daniels product is technically whiskey, not bourbon, there is a difference, so I didn't mention any of them here.
  • 1792. I have gone the same path sort of. I started with Old Grand Dad because that was what my dad drank. Graduated to the 114 proof OGD single batch, then Makers, Woodford and now 1792. Really smooth and complex. When I am not drinking that it is Jameson Reserve. My wife is 100% Irish American and let's just say very influential. I am fortunate enough to travel to Ireland 6 times a year so I can pick it up there.

Smokin'Stogies in Exton, Pa with my wife and our four dogs; Sully and Boo the Newfoundlands, Murphy the Irish Setter and Alli the Beagle/Lab mix. 

Eggers Prayer-

Our egg, which art in sizes, hallowed be thy smoke, thy will be grilled, at home as it is at eggfest. Give us this clay our daily brisket and forgive us our rubs, as we forgive those who gas grill against us, and lead us not to flashback but deliver us from overnighters. For thine is the grill, the smoke, the egg. Let's eat!

• RVH
    RVH Posts: 523
    If you mean a list to get Stagg's, yeah, there are several lists kept by a few of the venders for the product.
    Come on over to the OKC Eggfest and I'll pour you some. :)