Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Roasting Pan worries, will it turn black?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a nice calphanon roasting pan with stainless handles. I roasting my turkey with indirect heat with an inverted platesetter beneath it and a throwaway aluminum pan of water on the inverted platesetter. Should I be worried about the effect roasting at 325 will have on my nice roasting pan? Should I cover it with foil?

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Roscoe P. Coltrain,
    cover it with foil, or coat the outside with shaving cream (i've never tried it but my wyoming sister swears by this). . .got to break in the pan some how, why not now. . .also, this what the make calpholon cleaner for. ..

• mad max beyond eggdome,
    Shaving creme??? I only have shaving gel here so, maybe I will go for covering with foil. Of course I won't cover the inside of the pan. [p]My set-up barely fits in my large egg with a #22. The handles of the roasting pan slightly rubs on the front of the egg when opening/closing. I have an aluminum roasting pan as well but am concerned that it is too thin to support the turkey and also wouldn't work well when making the gravey after cooking.

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Roscoe P. Coltrain,
    here's the pan i use. . .its aluminum, about 80 (thats right, 80) years old. . . used it last year in the egg with great success, when my square calphalon pan wouldn't fit. ..i also set it directly on the stove to make the gravy. .been doing that for years with no problems whatsoever. . .[p]DSCN0626.jpg

• Buzzy
    Buzzy Posts: 29
    Options
    Roscoe P. Coltrain,
    I use liquid soap before putting it over a fire or on the egg. Cleans up nicely. Just don't get it in the pan if you are going to use the drippings![p]Kent

• mad max beyond eggdome,
    Do you not use any water pan beneath that setup?

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Roscoe P. Coltrain,
    don't plan on it with this set up. . . i wouldn't in a 325 degree oven. . and the egg stays moister than an oven, right?. . .with a well established 325 degree fire, there really won't be any direct flames hitting the pan. .. now, if i find that the roasting pan is too hot, i'll yank it in a hearbeat, build a shall pan out of aluminum foil, and stick it on the plate setter between the green feet and keep adding water to it all day. . but i'm betting it won't be necessary. . we'll see. .