Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lump availability

Options
JerseyEgger
JerseyEgger Posts: 315
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So here in Jersey as the fall hits stores pull charcoal and put out other lame junk. Where do you get your lump year round. I am gonna be eggin' again soon and will need to have lump all year long.
-Eddie

Comments

• Cactus Doug
    Options
    The wallmarts here have red bag US royal oak year round. They tend to move the pallets around but they always have it.
  • JerseyEgger
    Options
    Thanks. I'll have to keep my eye open or maybe talk to the manager at my local Walmart
    -Eddie
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    In the northeast, you have to stock up before they put it away for the season. If you have other walmart stores in the area, you might check there, but it's gettin' real late. A lot of us get 2-300+ pounds for the winter...while they still have it. Last weekend, my wm had a full pallet.

You can always have WickedGoodCharcoal.com ship you some, but at a price! Or drive to Mass and pick it up.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Billy Grill Eggster
    Options
    In a pinch you can go to ACE Hardware, they will order and have it dropped off at the ACE store usually takes a week to a week and half. Royal Oak or what ever is stocked at warehouse.
    I don't work for ACE or have any other business connection.
    Billy
    Wilson, NC
    Large BGE - WiFi Stoker - Thermapen - 250 Cookbooks

• Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    I'm in South Jersey and found its best to stock up in the fall. I never have less then 300 lbs on hand for the winter months. Now that I have two large BGE's I'm hoping I don't run short, at the very least I can hit Lowes or ACE for Cowboy brand.
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    Last winter was my first with an egg, and I just thought the wonderful red stuff would stay in stock at walmart year round, you know, just like the kingsford does. It was gone around October, and I was left to try everything else I could find for six months. The second place award (according to what I can get) was the cowboy at Lowes. When spring came, I started stocking up, every time I went to Walmart, I came home with four new bags. I have used 3 bags of my 36 bags that I stocked up on, I hope its enough. Pizza really kills the lump supply, and I have been playing a lot with that. Grandpas Grub posts that the Kroger stores (called Smiths here in Utah) will order their store brand if you request it. Its made by Royal Oak. Good luck.
  • Smokin' Stogies
    Options
    Jersey,

Ace hardware usually stocks frontier lump. Call ahead though as it hit or miss by store. I used to live at exit 7 and no one would carry lump in the winter, that was pre-egg for me so I didn't really get bothered by it. In southeastern pa Wally world sends it back to the distribution center. However, some of the ace's carry all year and others will order it in for you, just make sure it is lump and not frontier briquettes.

Good luck,

John

Smokin'Stogies in Exton, Pa with my wife and our four dogs; Sully and Boo the Newfoundlands, Murphy the Irish Setter and Alli the Beagle/Lab mix. 

Eggers Prayer-

Our egg, which art in sizes, hallowed be thy smoke, thy will be grilled, at home as it is at eggfest. Give us this clay our daily brisket and forgive us our rubs, as we forgive those who gas grill against us, and lead us not to flashback but deliver us from overnighters. For thine is the grill, the smoke, the egg. Let's eat!

• uglydog
    uglydog Posts: 256
    Options
    If you have a Wegman's around you, they usually carry lump year round. (At least the one in Downingtown, PA does). Sometimes you have to ask for it. One time I asked the stock clerk for some lump, since none was on display in the charcoal area. She went to the storeroom to get me a single bag. I had to explain that I needed several bags to build up my emergency stash, and she went back and brought out a whole pallet of lump. (I only took 4 bags at that time). Uglydog
  • chrisnjenn
    Options
    We have Royal Oak(red bag) at our local Walmarts year round. I bought 10 bags last night (there was a thread on here about Walmart raising their prices on it, but it is the same price as it has been lately here--$6.37 per 10 lbs.). I try to keep at least 100 lbs. in my stock at all times(combination of Royal Oak and Wicked Good).