Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

time per pound on turkey and temp

Beer-n-EggsBeer-n-Eggs Posts: 36
edited 7:57AM in EggHead Forum
What's the estimated minutes per pound on a turkey? Got an 18 pounder to do in the AM? Also need to confirm temp of 160 in breast, 170 in thigh.[p]Thanks!
Buster

·

Comments

• WessBWessB Posts: 6,937
    Beer-n-Eggs,
    You could read any of the last 100 posts and answer that question for yourself.....

·
  • Great answer, thanks!
    ·
  • I'll go with a guess of 15 mins a pound and check it occasionally. Just needed a guess as to what time to get started to have the bird ready in time.[p]Thanks!
    ·
  • Beer-n-Eggs,
    15 minutes per pound at 325 is a good estimate... i always find thay take longer. .. give yourself plenty of time. .a finished tukey can sit under foil for a couple of hours with no problem. . .

·
  • MickeyTMickeyT Posts: 607
    Beer-n-Eggs,[p]Love that handle.[p]I think more like 163-167 in the breast is what you are aiming for.[p]Good luck and enjoy.[p]Mick

·
  • WessB,
    Not necessarily true. There are a lot of different answers and alot of non answers - such as don't worry about time but go by temp. This is not a knock at all because this is an incredible forum but I have also asked specific questions like his because there was more information than I could absorb. I have done enough ribs where I can read through posts and understand the nuances but with a turkey, my first, I need straight ahead explicit directions.[p]God Bless,
    Mike[p]

·
  • Beer-n-Eggs,
    15 minutes a pound at 325 is reasonable. 25-30 minutes a pound at 250-275 is in the ballpark.[p]I would add 5-degrees to your target temperatures. When you pull it and wrap it up in foil to rest, you will see about a 5-degree rise in temperature from what I have observed.

·