Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey set up

Options
WJS
WJS Posts: 54
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I read Mad Max's post that he might not be available, but I really hate to call (long distance, etc.), but I'm confused on the set up. I've read the recipe and looked at the picture, and can't figure out where the pan with the liquid (water) goes. I see the inverted plate setter with feet on top, the pan on top of the feet, trivet in the pan with the bird on the trivet.[p]Where's the pan with the water? (says baste every 20 min after first hour).[p]Anybody know???[p]Also, does this turn into a steam bath (temp 325)?[p]Thought I had it all figured out. Maybe when I get home and am staring at it, it will make sense. Tentative plan is to use fire bricks on top of plate setter, water inside ring of bricks,pan on top of fire bricks - don't know what this will do to cooking area - I have a 20lb'er this year.[p]Am I missing something?

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    turkeybreast.jpg
    <p />WJS,[p]
    This how I'm setting up my breast tommorrow. I might try a beer can though but this worked well last year.[p]Inverted placesetter with pan of liquid setting on placesetter, foil wrapped.[p]Grid, turkey setting on V-Rack with setting in another pan. Don't know if it is Max's setup but it works for me.[p]CWM

• Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    Options
    Car Wash Mike, You should always be hoisting beer cans no matter what you are cooking.

• WJS
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    Look's like a possibility.[p]Why foil over the water pan? Don't you need to check/refill? (I know I'd make a mess trying to do it!)

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    WJS,[p]Put a lot of water in and no refilling is neccessary, make sure foil is tight. It might be different for a whole turkey. I'm looking at a 2 hour cook.[p]CWM
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    WJS,
    i may have confused you between the two posts . ..last year i had a water pan hung under my roasting pan to create a heat deflector. .. .this year i'm trying it with what i posted in the picture. ..plate setter as heat barrier with roasting pan on the little green feet to allow air flow under the roasting pan. . .the whole point is to have some kind of heat deflection between the fire and the roasting pan. . .. [p]as far as basting. .. betweeen the 2 sticks of butter and the wine, and the natural juices of the bird, you will have plenty of liquid in the cavity and roasting pan to baste with. .. if you need a little more, then add some chicken broth to the roasting pan. . .but i've never needed it. .. you should have plenty of liquid to baste with. . . .[p]if you go with the water pan as your heat deflector, then you need to make sure and keep adding water to that to maintain the heat barrier. . ..[p]hope this helps. .. [p]max

• WJS
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    How much water do you lose in 2 hours? I'm looking at 5-6.5 hours (best guess). Don't think I can go that long. Might just have to dis-assemble, refill the pan and put it back together.

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    WJS,[p]I don't think a lot, I've never had to refill. If you don't use Max's, I'm going to place feet underneither my pan this year for more airflow. Turn the turkey over the last 3/4 hour to brown the backside, mine was white last year but done. I'm really leaning towards a beer can setup.[p]CWM
  • WJS
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Thanks, that clears it up. Didn't realize it was two different setups - DOH![p]Happy Thanksgiving!