Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Chops!!

Options
NotabuttDave
NotabuttDave Posts: 181
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last night I made pork chops on the EGG for the second time.

Wifey bought 2" thick chops, not to my liking.

I put the Kroger's Special $1.50 pork seasoning on that "a lady in the spice isle said was nice".

I'm thinking, this has disaster written all over it. Chops too thick, cheap spice.

I fired the egg up to 800* and threw them on. (RO lump, clear smoke,Egg facing north)

The egg cooled to 500* for the cook, after 20 min. turning 4x, I pulled the best chops off the grill that I have ever had!

Sometimes, the Egg just can't cook a bad meal.

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Wished mine from last weekend had been 2 inch.. Thicker the better
    photo-95.jpg
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• NotabuttDave
    Options
    Show off!

Mine didn't have the bone and I used the factory issue grill.

Still, mighty good.
  • Mickey
    Options
    Dave you have one of the best tag lines:
    """And on the 8th day, God created the pig, and He said, "MMMMMM". """
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Options
    NotabuttDave wrote:
    ...Chops too thick...

I did not know that was possible. :blink:

Okay, Okay, at some point it switches from a "chop" to a roast, but I love 2 inch chops.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    NotabuttDave, Sounds like you found a great cook to try again. :P Tim

I love thick cut chops seared then raised high in the dome till 135F - 145F depending on the one eating it. I also like a sweet rub without sauce or sauce on the side.
  • KenHawk
    KenHawk Posts: 58
    Options
    What do you do with the small grate (and spider) after you've seared the chops?

Do you leave it in - or remove it (and how)?
    Use the regular grate at the normal level - or elevated?

I'm getting ready to do my first T-Rex method and wondering about some of the details.
  • Lobicho
    Lobicho Posts: 557
    Options
    hey...but they look awesome...congrats!!!
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    KenHawk, Here is the setup I use. A spider and cast iron food grid. The first part of my cook is searing for a char. I usually get a timer and put them on for say one minute then twist the meat on the grid and moving the meat to a hotter spot but still on the same side for another minute. So now two minutes has passed and I flip the meat to a hot spot for another minute then twist...now you have grilled the chops or steaks or tri-tip or london broil...depending on the meat and thickness for four minutes. I have to be careful not to go over my desired internal meat temp so using my thermapen I check and if the internal meat temp need to be higher depending on the meat I set them on the adjustable rig and set the adjustable rig on top of the spider and ci grid. I will use my maverick et-73 and close the dome or check with my thermapen after a short period of time. Pull the meat off a little soon and cover with foil on the counter and the meat temp will continue to rise a few degrees depending on what you are doing. I do this whole cook at 400F dome. I said a lot of words but the cook goes pretty fast. Tim :)

Now there are other setups to do this same cook so you don't have to buy all this stuff but, I think you were asking about this set up.

000_2077.jpg

000_2079.jpg
  • KenHawk
    KenHawk Posts: 58
    Options
    I like that approach, because you leave the CI grid on the whole time. Why mess with something that hot.

I'm rigging up a grate with legs. I'll try that same approach. Thanks.
  • Mickey
    Options
    KenHawk I do like Tim except I go direct when taken up top.
    You will find more go like Tim (indirect) than my direct. But it works for me.

• 2Fategghead
    Options
    It's got me hungry for some thick cut chops. :P

How about you Mickey! :woohoo: