Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket - The Never Ending Story

Spring Chicken
Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've got a really nice looking whole brisket that has been fat-trimmed, separated into flat and point, and doused with a goodly amount of Tex rub (complements of Village Idiot).

Brisket.jpg

It's sitting in the frig waiting for that magic moment around 3:00 YaaaaawnM when they go on Lily Large. She has been seriously cleaned up and outfitted for the occasion with a well tuned BBQ Guru, and will soon smell of pecan and mesquite wood.

Meanwhile, my Egghead neighbor, Lucky Mon, is equally interested in both the process and the end result. He even spent some time looking up brisket info and ran across this.

http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/texas_brisket.html

It's kind of interesting reading.

I'm a Taurus. That means instructions don't mean a thing to me except for the interesting reading part. But I am following the advice of Lake Conroe Egger on tonight's brisket.

Let y'all know tomorrow if my brisket was good.

Spring "Let There Be Good Brisket Throughout The Land" Chicken
Spring Texas USA

Comments

• Leroy does LCE inject his brisket? Also what temperature does he cook at? I noticed from the video of his cook that you posted earlier that he separates the point and flat for cooking, I have seen others doing this recently with good results. I am waiting to see how your cook turns out. How much of the fat did you trim if any? And finally you going to cook it fat up or down? I know these are lots of questions but I am still not quite satisfied with my current brisket recipe.
  • I'll try to answer your questions but I may make 'adjustments' as I go along with my own brisket.

Lake Conroe Egger said he cooks at between 225° and 230° grid temperature. That's using the adjustable rig.

On my Egg that's about 280° dome temperature. I haven't calibrated my dome thermometer in months but that's pretty close to what it has always been.

Yes, he separated the point and flat. He likes to put the point on 3 to 4 hours before the flat. Strangly, the point on my brisket is not that large and is very tender. It is the same thickness as the flat so I plan to put it on only about an hour before the flat.

I trimmed most of the fat off, probably down to about 1/8". I'll cook it fat side down, something I learned from Dr. BBQ. Until then I had done it fat side up, the more fat the better. Now I know better.

By the way, I'm not going to inject like I normally do, or foil when it reaches plateau. And I will probably slice it soon after taking off the Egg. If necessary, I may wrap in foil and towels to rest in the cooler for an hour but I'd rather not this time.

Hope this helps.

Spring "Magic Is The Best Ingredient In Cooking Briskets" Chicken
  • BigA
    BigA Posts: 1,157
    waiting to here how it goes. the amazing ribs site is a pretty decent site as far as other cooks go.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    If I leave Salado now, I can be in Spring by 6:15 to hold that brisket while you cut it :P
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Yes it is. That's why I posted the link.

Spring "Every Chain Has A Strong And A Weak Link" Chicken
  • You would be in TROUBLE with Linda for sure, unless you brought her along.

Spring "Rooms For Rent Real Cheep" Chicken
  • Fluffyb
    Fluffyb Posts: 1,815
    Thanks for the link. Can't wait to see your results and the feature film on the cook!
  • tnels
    tnels Posts: 75
    Are you going to do burnt ends with the point? I've been contemplating just ordering points am interested to hear about your results.
  • Thanks for reminding me to keep the Flip video camera handy. Can't make movies without some video. Well, I suppose I could just make a movie using still photos like in the old days. Naaaaaaaa...

Spring "Nothing Like A Movie To Get You Moving" Chicken
  • Haven't thought about burnt ends. I suppose I could cut some nice thick chunks out of the point and cook them some more to see what they would taste like compared to the rest of the brisket. Might just do that. Thanks.

Spring "Singed Feathers And Burnt Ends"
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Spring Chicken wrote:
    ...Lake Conroe Egger said he cooks at between 225° and 230° grid temperature. That's using the adjustable rig.

On my Egg that's about 280° dome temperature....

Are you saying that you have a 50 degree temperature variation in the six inches between your grid and your thermometer? Really? :blink:
  • If God wanted the point and the flat to be separated before cooking, She would have made them separate muscles on the cow.

I'm just sayin' ......... :whistle:

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Yes, and that's pretty common. Some have reported as much as 75° variance between the grid at the normal location and the dome thermometer. I thought people were nutz when they first mentioned it but as soon as I got my BBQ Guru I saw it first hand. Now I know why I nuked so many meals in the beginning.

Spring "Mucho Caliente Huevo" Chicken
  • Then She must have had other reasons because it looked to me that it was designed to be separated, unless by chance that a pack of hienas were skipping the more cumbersome cooking process in favor of a food fight over said brisket.

Spring "Laugh Like A Hiena" Chicken
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Godspeed wished on this cook Leroy!! ;)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Thank you.

I plan to combine the wisdom that comes with age, the preparation that comes with planning, the experience that comes with failure, the devices that give me an edge, the excitement that comes with receiving the advice of one who mastered the technique, and the anticipation of a job well done.

How can it not be good?

Spring "Patience And Enthusiasm Thrive Where All Else Fails" Chicken
  • elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    I'm sure it will be delicious! Looks like they are off to a good start with the rub alone... :laugh:
  • Never tried the rub before so it's anyone's guess. But Village Idiot said it was good. That's good enough for me.

I'm shooting for 12 to 14 hours on the flat and maybe 16 on the point. I'd really like to take 'em both off about 4:25 tomorrow and start slicing about 4:44 at the latest.

We'll see.

Spring "Midnight Egg'n Tonight" Chicken
  • elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    Okay, you've got me with your timeframes....why slicing at 4:44? Is 4 your lucky number? :ohmy:
  • Ha... 4:44 was the exact time my Sweetie got home from work every day for ten years. I could and did count the seconds until I saw 4:44 on the clock and the garage door open. Life was good again.

On Wednesdays, we immediately joined our neighbors and drove up to our favorite Mexican restaurant, usually arriving at 4:50 in time for Happy Hour.

My Sweetie is now retired but 4:44 remains our traditional time to join with our neighbors for meals. So we invited them to join us for the brisket slicing at 4:44 tomorrow.

Now you know.

Spring "A Time And Purpose For Everything" Chicken
  • LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    all the best with that cook. Looking forward to how it turns out. Although I'm sure it'll be top notch
    context is important :)
  • Leroy, you are an amazing person! Good luck with the brisket. I'll check back later.
  • Thanks. Just trying to outdo myself.

If you and Colleen happen to be free from 4:00 to 6:00 today stop by to see how it turned out. It could be good, but on the other hand you may have to stop for a burger or Pepto Bismol on the way home.

Spring "Predictability Is Only A Guess" Chicken
  • Thanks.

I'm sure hoping it turns out good. Briskets don't always do what you want or expect them to do.

Spring "Expecting The Best, Will Settle For Even Better" Chicken