Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dry Aging Question

Options
berrygood
berrygood Posts: 372
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Okay, I have a nice subprimal ready to go into the garage fridge. My question is how often can you open/close the door? Does it have to stay closed the whole time? Assuming that's not the case, how much is too much? I guess, as long as the temp stays fairly consistent, I'm okay right?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• kricks
    kricks Posts: 244
    Options
    You are fine so don't stress. Your garage fridge is probably only opened a few times a day? That's where most of us put our primals.
  • thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    Options
    That is also where I keep my beer. ;)
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    It would be OK in the inside fridge.Opening,closing will make NO difference.I use my outside fridge a LOT.I keep a thermometer in a cup of water in the fridge and it NEVER fluctuates no matter how many times I open it in a day. B)The hardest part is the waiting 28-???Days! :(
  • Eggnogstic
    Options
    Well, I wouldn't open the door, stand there and stare @ it for hours.... :whistle:
  • you never worry about the temps going up and down with your eggs, butter, and milk, right?

lot more mass in that subprimal. it won't change in temp at all even if the thing was in your day-to-day fridge.

the issue for me would be wet summer air condensing on the beef and creating (potentially) a wet surface. even then, it'd dry quick enough.

no real issues at all.

long time ago when this was proposed the conventional wisdom here was that it was impossible, and that the temps would be a real problem. looks like the conventional wisdom has changed, or those folks have been browbeaten to the point where they don't bother replying anymore.

:laugh:
  • berrygood
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies.