Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wood Planks for salmon

Bubba's dad
Bubba's dad Posts: 97
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Tomorrow I am going to buy a wood plank to use on the egg. I found a recipe I like but have one simple question - Do you put the wood plank straight on the grill or do you use the plate setter? Can someone please explain

Thanks and have a good

God Bless

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    I believe you soak it first if Im not mistaken. Yes it goes directly on the cooking grid. FWIW, salmon is also very good cooked direct.
  • I usually soak the plank in water for at least 2 hrs. Make sure it is completely submerged (put something heavy on top of it to make sure it doesn't float to the top).

You can prep the salmon in any of many various recipes listed here, or use your own preferred recipe.

After removing from the water, I spray a light coat of Pam on the plank, then put the salmon on the plank, then place the salmon/plank combo directly on the grid.

I then cook to an internal temp = 135. You will get some smoking coming off the plank as the heat/fire dries out the plank. The plank will also start to char a bit, but for me, it's never been a big problem.

I think some folks may do it differently, but I've had very good results with my method.

HTH,
    Rob B)
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • I've always been told that the plank gets direct heat.

I think the charring of the plank might be adding to a smokiness, or other flavors. Indirect heat would just cause the board to be steamed - not as much flavor coming out of the wood.

I agree, that the money is better spent on upgrading to wild caught salmon, or moving up to Coho or King.
  • Bubba's Dad: The way I have done cedar planked salmon in restaurants is to place the soaked plank on the grill until it starts to smoke, then flip, add the salmon skin side down on the smouldering plank, and cook to desired temp. 120 -125 for med rare, 135-140 tops cooked though. Also, while the plank was being cooked off, we would sear the salmon flesh side down to get color or grill marks, then finished on the plank. If you sear direct on the grill flesh side down, if it is sticking, just WAIT! The fish will release when it is marked and ready to flip, I promise! :)
  • Yep, direct heat...Don't be afraid to go to Home Depot and get a 8' section of UNTREATED cedar....Chop off a piece when you need it, It'll save some dough! B) Thats what I do...
  • If you are buying a plank and cutting it as you need it, remember to get a plank that has not been treated with any preservatives, the fish tastes better that way.
    Actually, the treated planks are not great for the health either ,
  • the plnk IS the indirect barrier.

soak it for a half hour or hur, and put it in with the salmon on it already, and it will roast. the board will start to smoke toward the end of the cook, maybe half-way thru the cook. if it smoked the whole time, it might be too strong a flavor.

if you are going to grill the fish like LC does and THEN put it on the plank, you'd want the plank smoking when the fish went on it, otherwise you might not get much smoke before the fish finished cooking
  • in my opinion, anyway, which is all that matters to me :laugh:

18" undercourse shingles

undercourse-shingles.jpg

cut off the thin end

trim-thin-end.jpg

soak (takes only 15 minutes)

soak-the-plank.jpg

plank it

on-the-grill.jpg

minimal char by the time it's done

plated_salmon2.jpg

minimal_char.jpg

but still not worth saving at such a cheap price

not-worth-savin.jpg

plenty left over, too.

leftover_shingles.jpg
  • I am reading different things - should I use the plate setter with the cedar plank or should I do it straight on the grill?
  • No platesetter. How would the plank smoke if it was indirect?
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    I like the pretreated planks myself. Save my spices and rubs for other stuff.