Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Post pic of your outdoor STONE kitchen

Options
Village Idiot
Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm having our garage rebuilt and I'm planning for an outdoor kitchen adjacent to the garage. I've seen some great stone kitchens that some of you have built and I'd like to show some to the builder. If you are proud of your kitchen, please post a picture for me. I really appreciate it.

I checked out Naked Whiz's section and also did a search, but didn't see what I remember from previous posts.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
Just west of Austintatious

Comments

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Gary, did you look over in the table forum? lots of really nice ones over there.
  • Double Bogey
    Options
    Gary,
    I decided not to go the "full kitchen" route since my shop adjoins the cooking area and I have my old kitchen base cabinets and counter top along the wall and a small bar type fridge only a few steps away.

NewEggTable2.jpg
    This is a view of the business side while construction was ongoing.

IMG_0403.jpg
    This is the front view.
    Larry
    Aiken, SC. and
    Fancy Gap, Va.
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    Thanks, Larry. I had downloaded yours after seeing it in Naked Whiz's site. Pretty much what I want, except I'm going to use white limestone, which is native to our area. Like you, I don't want a sink with water, etc. but I might want some storage area or cool ways to sweep out the ashes. Thanks.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Village Idiot
    Options
    Yes, thanks. I looked there. Most of the stuff are wooden tables. I'm looking for a decorative stone with some kind of easily cleaned up top.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Little Steven
    Options
    Gary,

Mike, Lawn Ranger, has a fantastic setup.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=744304&catid=1

Just looking for others

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    This one isn't exactly "stone" but it is among the first outdoor kitchens.

The message is important and probably where the Big Green Egg actually started.

Firewithoutwarranty.jpg

Let us know when it is finished. I'll be more than happy to get stoned with you.

Spring "Stuck And Stoned Won't Break Me Bones But It Sure Gives Me Head 'a Real Hurt'n." Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Chef Charles
    Options
    Larry,

That is a nice set up, especially having a golf course in your backyard :) .

Tom

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

• Double Bogey
    Options
    Thanks Tom. The picture was taken during construction and the course was still dormant. Looks much better this time of the year.

With some of the comments made from the tee box I think I need to open a drive in for the golf carts. Seems the wind usually blows towards the course and we all know how great the aromas are from a working BGE.
    Larry
    Aiken, SC. and
    Fancy Gap, Va.
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Not really a stone kitchen, but lots of stone. Built this over a year ago and ran out of funds to build the covered area. Just got lumber for the Nature Hut that will sit up on the posts you see in the picture. Gonna start swingin a hammer this weekend! Once the covered area is up I'm gonna visualize how we'll do the outdoor kitchen so it works for partying as well as teaching classes. I'm stoked.

Here is the steps coming down to the patio. Right after it was done....the beds in the stone walls are full of herbs and veggies now. Careful comin down the steps!
    PatioSteps.jpg

Then a couple weeks ago doin some cookin and partying.
    PatioNow.jpg
    patioNite.jpg

You should get some good responses and pix. Good luck with the project! Man I love being outside.
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    Gary, if brick counts? you want to look at zippylips and missippiegger's ovaries [eggs are kept in a ovary? yes?
    i will let them know you are looking
    bill
  • AlwaysGolf
    Options
    Mine is brick mostly with stone accents, but it is not attached to the house.

When It was first built:

DSC01409.jpg

DSC01410.jpg

After Having it Screened In:

IMGP0454.jpg
  • Little Steven
    Options
    AlwaysGolf,

Very nice setup!

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• AlwaysGolf
    Options
    Thanks Little Steven
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    AG,
    Great outdoor room !

What are you doing about the smoke since you screened it? When I screened mine in, the smoke despite a residential stove vent can become obnoxious at times, running people back indoors. (See my pics in a separate post to Village Idiot. I am working on solutions...
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Gary,

Mine is not stone, although my countertops are tile.

DSC_0448.jpg

DSC_0449.jpg

DSC_0450.jpg

DSC_0457.jpg
  • AlwaysGolf
    Options
    Misippi Egger,
    Have two ceiling fans alreay installed. Not really worried about it just yet because there is usually a pretty good breeze blowing here in Texas but since I have screened it in te wind has all of sudden disappeared. Was thinking of trying to mount a fan to blow it out for the times it is a problem.

Let me know what solution you come up with and the cost, LOL.
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Your screens look look mine which are 80% or so 'sun block'. Which I have discovered also means 'wind block', as well as 'smoke trap'. :ohmy:

I might change the screens around my eggs to regular ones, as there is little sun coming in there and I think it will help let more smoke out. I have a vent (as in the pic), but the smoke goes up around the vent and not fast enough through the fan. The builder has a temporary 'riser' board tacked in front of the opening, coming down about 2 feet in an attempt to trap smoke up around the vent and keeping it from coming into the room. But when I poured on a few handfuls of chips yesterday, the smoke billowed out faster than the fan and screens could handle it and filled the room. Other than that initial blast of smoke, it did pretty well.

Next step is to add another outlet to the vent and/or drop the board a little lower on the front. Might have to raise the ceiling over the eggs to trap more smoke and last resort would be to raise the ceiling (and that lean-to roof) 18 inches or so, putting a 3-sided 18" screen (like a cupola-type on the 3 sides) to allow the smoke to go out. I hope we don't have to go that far. Most cooks are not a problem, but the initial blast of smoke from adding chips and cooking burgers are the two things I have found that create smoke that fills the room.
  • AlwaysGolf
    Options
    Cooking chicken indirect is my main concern, because I cook lots of chicken, wings. Not to bad when the wind is blowing.

My first step is going to be some type of wall fan or pedestal to attempt to just blow the smoke out. Second step is to do the vent like yours.

I think my roof line is a little lower than, so I think a decent vent would do the trick just fine, just have to do it without the wife finding out, LOL!
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Kinda stone - mostly stucco and tile

Didn't build it - was there when we bought the house

Just rolled my tables in
    IMG_1891800x600.jpg

IMG_1893800x600.jpg
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Dude!,you need to install HANDRAILS for the TRIBES you'll have visiting!!! :laugh: :laugh: B)
  • DeanR
    DeanR Posts: 27
    Options
    This is a picture of mine when near completion. If possible I would suggest a sink.

Kitchen8november004.jpg
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    I've gotten some good ideas here. One is to have an open space for the Eggs rather than a circle like the wooden tables.

Dean, I like yours alot. I don't think I want a sink, only because of the extra cost involved. I would like to know what top you have. I want something smooth, easy to clean, and knife proof.

Thanks again, everyone.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    Options
    bobbyb has got an awesome setup.
  • DeanR
    DeanR Posts: 27
    Options
    I used 12 x 24 porcelain tile with the bullnose around the edge. I think it's easy to clean and I do the work myself so it's not to costly to install.
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    Gosh Chris would you invite me someday?? I know I'd be around great friends & your place has a lot of charm!!!!
  • sew quik
    Options
    Here is mine. Two large Eggs and a gas side burner. Not stone, but tile over concrete with flagstone countertops. Gas side burner. End table has several options for the centerpiece: fire table, fountain that flows champagne or punch or an ice bucket (shown). Let me know if you want further details for your builder.

HPIM1968.jpg

HPIM1969.jpg