Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Guinea Pig

Options
WeberWho
WeberWho Posts: 11,026
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
DSCN8627.jpg

I wen't with Auber Insturments PID controller. I realize it not a bbq guru/stoker but under a $100 I think it will do. Since I have not seen any reviews on here I will be the guinea pig. Just arrived today and the quality seems descent. I assumed the fans housing would be a cheap plastic piece. Was surprised that the whole housing was metal. The controller itself is somewhat generic looking. Won't win any style awards. Guru/stoker are much more attractive looking. The guru/stoker also have the food temp probe which this doesn't have. Might just pick up a cheap remote thermometer and fix that problem. But for under a $100 I can skip all the extra goodies. Just don't want to babysit on long cooks and worry about the temp jumping around. Don't get me wrong, I would love a stoker if I could afford the extra chunk of change! But this will do. Sam's Club is offering 15 weeks for $15 membership for the next few days. I have a Costco membership and would like to check out Sam's club meat selection. So I plan on picking up some meat and try out the new toy. Will let you know how it works.
"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    Dont know why my posts gets moved under old posts when I just posted them?
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • op2k
    op2k Posts: 62
    Options
    I'm looking forward to your opinion on this unit. I would prefer to get a Guru, but that's a hard sell to the Mrs. right now. Good luck!
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    Awesome, look forward to your review. I frequent the bubba keg forum as well, and there are some members there that have purchased and are using this with good success.
  • thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    Options
    Keep us posted on how well it works.
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. Let us know how it works. I like the looks of that thermocouple- nice long lead with a good metal sheath.

One thing I noticed is that there is no damper (no way to close down the duct between the fan and the draft door). You can probably take care of this with the top daisy wheel- but you may have to close it down more than you are accustomed to in order to make sure the temp can drop. You could also probably rig a damper with a little sheet metal, foil, foil tape, etc.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Teach42
    Teach42 Posts: 219
    Options
    I spent some time in Ecuador, and you what's a delicacy there? Yeah, that's right. Guinea Pig.

So I'm kinda relieved to see what this thread is actually about.